Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewalls..

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

I have Webroot Antivirus which has a firewall and my AT&T DSL modem has a firewall. I got an alert from the Webroot program stating that the Window's Firewall is off and can be turned on because it is compatible with the Webroot firewall. I know when I had the Norton program which had a firewall I didn't use the Window's firewall...only the Norton's and the DSL modem. Does anyone know if I should use the Windows Firewall along with the Webroot's? As far as I know the DSL does have a firewall. Thanks.
Also when I go to "system and security" it doesn't recognize the Webroot firewall even though it is activated.
HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

Also when I go to "system and security" it doesn't recognize the Webroot firewall even though it is activated.

This should be checked via Webroots settings first. Are you sure it has been activated and the settings are correct ??

#3 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

This should be checked via Webroots settings first. Are you sure it has been activated and the settings are correct ??

It shows that it is on.
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

It shows that it is on. <<
If this is the case, you should not turn the Windows firewall on -
Quick research showed that only one version of Webroot has no firewall, and that was Version 6 (I think) , released 2008.
If your version of Webroot shows it as active, then that is all you need -

#5 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

It shows that it is on. <<
If this is the case, you should not turn the Windows firewall on -
Quick research showed that only one version of Webroot has no firewall, and that was Version 6 (I think) , released 2008.
If your version of Webroot shows it as active, then that is all you need -

I have Webroot Secure Anywhere Essentials with firewall. I click PC Security then Firewall and it says it is on. I just talked to a "tech engineer" from Webroot and he said to turn on the Windows's firewall. He said this newer version is the 1st of their antivirus programs that is compatible with Window's firewall. He said running both of those firewalls along with the firewall in the DSL modem is how I should set it up.

#6 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

Webroot SecureAnywhere is designed to work in tandem with the Windows firewall. Do NOT disable Windows Firewall.

http://www.webrootanywhere.com/sah_Firewall.asp?n=About_the_firewall

SecureAnywhere is cloud-based, even the firewall, and is designed to be compatible with any other AV or Firewall application. It purposely doesn't integrate into the Windows security center to avoid problems with other security software already registered there, running on the system.

Edit: @ socom 004, looks like you already got an answer, and posted while I was composing my reply. I gotta learn to hit those keys a little faster :lol:

Edit2: Typo.

Edited by RedDawn, 27 June 2012 - 08:21 PM.

#7 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

Webroot SecureAnywhere is designed to work in tandem with the Windows firewall. Do NOT disable Windows Firewall.

http://www.webrootanywhere.com/sah_Firewall.asp?n=About_the_firewall

SecureAnywhere is a cloud-based, even the firewall, and is designed to be compatible with any other AV or Firewall application. It purposely doesn't integrate into the Windows security center to avoid problems with other security software already registered there, running on the system.

Edit: @ socom 004, looks like you already got an answer, and posted while I was composing my reply. I gotta learn to hit those keys a little faster :lol:

Hey I appreciate the response. I just thought I'd give them a call and see if I could talk to someone. Thanks.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

Powerful Firewall ??
Two-way firewall :wacko: ?? blocks hackers and intrusions while minimizing interruptions and false alerts - :thumbdown:
It works with the Windows firewall, which monitors data traffic coming into your computer ?? With both the Webroot and Windows firewall turned on, your data has complete inbound and outbound protection -
All the above is from Webroot except the ?? and Bolding -

What to Look for in a Personal Firewall Program - From Firewall Review -
A personal firewall is software designed for use on a single PC. Personal firewalls lock out intruders to keep individual PCs safe at home.

My question marks added, as the program constantly contradicts itself as to its own rating in protection. I had always considered a Firewalls main job was stopping / blocking, and not to only monitor incoming hackers etc. but Webroot proves me wrong again -
My original view was after checking the programs own versions of its protection, which now seem a bit ?? - I would never spend money on it now !!

I am now happy with my Free MSE and Windows own Firewall, as they seem to exceed Webroot in so many ways - :)

My own views as always -

#9 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

I usually run the "Leak Test" from GRC to see if it is penetrated or not.
When I had Norton and used only the Window's firewall it penetrated just as McAfee it did. When I used the Norton firewall along with my DSL modem it didn't penetrate and the same as with the modem and McAfee firewall. Anytime I relied solely on the Window's firewall the "leak test" failed. I ran the test with the modem, Webroot and Window's and it was "unable to penetrate". I'm not sure how reliable the test is but a lot of people on here seem to favor the test.

Edited by socom 004, 27 June 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

As it is cloud based it needs the 2 software firewalls, Webroot/Windows. Windows will cover the rest of the firewall actions needed and your Hardware/Router Firewall is the final line of protection. Its a good setup Socom.

It's a change from the old standard of 1 soft and 1 hardware firewall.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

Socom,
Notice you are running Norton 360 and several other anti virus programs, shouldn't Norton 360 be enough, it's their best?
Just askin',
JIm

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#12 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:14 AM

Socom,
Notice you are running Norton 360 and several other anti virus programs, shouldn't Norton 360 be enough, it's their best?
Just askin',
JIm

I'm not using all of these. I have used Norton and McAfee before. On one computer I bought Norton was all ready installed on it. This particular computer had McAfee on it. After 30 days you either renew the program or get something else. I opted to try Webroot this time. I've used their Spysweeper and was pleased with it. One thing about Norton is it takes forever to scan.

#13 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:16 AM

As it is cloud based it needs the 2 software firewalls, Webroot/Windows. Windows will cover the rest of the firewall actions needed and your Hardware/Router Firewall is the final line of protection. Its a good setup Socom.

It's a change from the old standard of 1 soft and 1 hardware firewall.

I thought I'd give it a try. It passed the GRC Leak Test so I guess it's doing it's job.

#14 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

I have Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete and I said that I'd never use a security suite. I usually assembled antivirus, sandboxing, firewall, and intrusion apps, my own custom suite. But I was a Prevx user, then Webroot SecureAnywhere Essentials beta tester, and realized that WSA was awesome. Not only can you use it with Windows Firewall, you can use it with other firewalls, like Online Armor. But you don't need to do so; it makes the Windows Firewall a great companion. The Complete license protects 3 (to 5) computers and 3 iOS or Android devices. It protects my android phone and 3 computers in the family. You can monitor the computers, iOS and Android from the Webroot console on your web page there.

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users