Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Glitch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Monkeyusaf

Monkeyusaf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

So two days ago my computer started glitching while I was playing videogames. The reason that I am posting in this section and not another is because this glitch is occurring in all of my higher end videogames. The computer is fine when in idle or used for mundane tasks like internet and word. However when I try playing videogames after about 10 minutes of gameplay the monitor freezes and the computer shuts down. I made a video and took a photo of the glitch occurring.
My question to you is what is causing this graphics glitch seen in the video/photo.

Image: http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/9283/dscn1283d.jpg

Video: Skip to 4:05 to see the glitch occour.

System Specs:
Operating System
MS Windows XP Media Center Edition Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 92 F
Kentsfield 65nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0P611C (Microprocessor)
Graphics
DellSP2008WFP (1024x768@60Hz)
512MB GeForce 8800 GT (nVidia) 146 F
Hard Drives
488GB Seagate (ATA) 81 F
488GB Seagate (ATA) 79 F
Audio
Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)
Firewall
Firewall Enabled
Company Name AVG Technologies
Display Name AVG Firewall
Product Version 2012.0
Antivirus
Antivirus Enabled
Company Name AVG Technologies
Display Name AVG Internet Security 2012
Product Version 2012.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

Have you checked your video card for an overheating problem? I actually took the metal cover of of the heatsink and fan on one to show the owner that although he thought it was clean it wasn't. It was a lower end card from a Dell. No identity markings anywhere on that thing.

If you look at the top of the card you can see where the video chip is. By top of the card the side opposite of the heat sink fan assembly.

With the side off of the computer play the game until it glitches and being careful to ground yourself to the case feel the top of the card where the GPU is. If it is really hot then carefully remove it and clean it. Do not take it apart. Do not move the heatsink on the card, Do not use the heatsink to pull the card out.

Or using the monitoring program you used to post the temperatures keep it running and keep an eye on the temperatures.

Do you have to let the computer cool down before using it or does it run OK instantly.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 ElFasso

ElFasso

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

• Have you updated the video drivers recently?
  • Is there something new installed recently?
  • Have you recently installed AVG (I see on 2012, but I don't known the month)?
  • Have you experienced any BSOD's (Blue Screen of Death)?

#4 Monkeyusaf

Monkeyusaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

Have you updated the video drivers recently? No

Is there something new installed recently? No

Have you recently installed AVG (I see on 2012, but I don't known the month)? Installed it around 6 months ago.

Have you experienced any BSOD's (Blue Screen of Death)? Yes, about 3-4 months ago. \

Do you have to let the computer cool down before using it or does it run OK instantly. It runs OK instantly

Have you checked your video card for an overheating problem? I have noticed that it has run a little hot at times. Ill try what you suggest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users