Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't boot up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Surf City Steve

Surf City Steve

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

I have a four year old Toshiba laptop that starts , goes to the first start screen, then brings up a ms dos looking screen that says basicly must run a check on drive C: Then runs the test, and goes to a blank screen and then nothing else happens. I have tried powering down, removing the battery, unplugging the power source, let it sit for hours, then put the battery back in and plug it in. It goes through the very same steps and then goes right back to the blank screen, never boots up. Can anyone offer some help? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElFasso

ElFasso

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

Do you see the POST-screen (Black background with white letters) when you start the computer, an example is:

Posted Image

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hi,

What is the Toshiba model number and operating system?

Can you get into the Advanced Boot Options menu? (Turn on laptop and start tapping the F8 key).
  • If you can, first try Last Known Good Configuration.
  • Next, try Safe Mode.
  • Finally, if you are back at the DOS prompt, type: chkdsk /R (note the space after chkdsk)
  • chkdsk /R may take some time to complete and shouldn't be interrupted.
  • Note any error messages.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 Surf City Steve

Surf City Steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

Sorry for the delay in getting back with the model info. It's a toshiba satellite A-305-S6858 PSAG0U-02D00M serial # 78114606Q. Hope this helps.

#5 Surf City Steve

Surf City Steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

Do you see the POST-screen (Black background with white letters) when you start the computer, an example is:

Posted Image

No the screen is similar but mentions a problem with c drive and must run diagonstics. It gives me the choice to skip this step. I have tried skipping and it just sits and does nothing. When I choose to run the c drive check, it goes through the check, then after it completes the diagnostics, it just sit there. When this is happening the power, battery and drive indicator lights just south of the touch pad all stay solid lite in a white light. They do not flicker or go out.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

What happens when you repeatedly tap the F8 key at system start-up?

Regards,
Brooks

#7 Surf City Steve

Surf City Steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

I hit the F 8 key and got into the smart mode. A screen came up with what appeared to be the same text line after line. Something like files to be opened. I watched for about ten minutes. Nothing else happened. I came back about an hour later and the screen is blank, I cane move the cursor, but nothing else happens. I still have a blank screen. Does this sound like the mother board has gone bad? Is there still a way to retreive any data from the hard drive?

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

Hi,

What is your operating system - Vista or different?

If you have access to another computer with a CD burner, a blank CDR disk, and a USB flash drive, you can attempt to rescue your data following this guide: PUPPY LINUX - How to backup your data using, Windows Made Easy.

When the computer starts and you tap F8, you should come to the Advanced Boot Options screen. Is there an option: Repair my Computer?

Regards,
Brooks

#9 Surf City Steve

Surf City Steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

Art, it is Vista op system. I'll try your idea and get back to you later today. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users