Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rundll.exe Eating 99% Of Cpu Usage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scotth1229

scotth1229

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:44 PM

Hello - My home PC boots up and runs very slowly. I noticed that the CPU usage pegs at or near 100% usage almost constantly with a process "rundll.exe" taking up 95-100% of the CPU usage. This begins at start-up.

I've run all virus and spyware scans. I used BleepingComputer to help me eliminate the Vundo malware (thanks BC, it worked great). Have run Adaware, Spybot, Stinger, Norton AV, AVG, Avast, you name it.

What could be causing this rundll.exe to dominate the processor? Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:55 PM

Use Spybot or msconfig to look at your startup programs and eliminate any that aren't necessary but be very careful not to disable firewall, av or antimalware programs as well as explore.exe.

#3 scotth1229

scotth1229
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:17 AM

Dear Enthusiast - THANKS MUCH! Although I understand business software app's., I'm a real neophyte on topics at the OS level and below. Using Spybot's advanced capabilities, I found a bunch of things in startup that (I believe) were causing the problem. Since rebooting, my CPU usage stays in the 1-2% range (since I only have IE and Outlook open). MUCH FASTER.

Follow-up: I've been getting the WinFixer pop-ups from that piece of malware, I believe is called Vundo. I used BC's solution to get rid of it, and it appears to have worked.

However, I noticed that there was a WinFixer program in the startup. Obviously, I disabled it, but though the Vundofix would've taken care of that. Put another way, I fear that I still have WinFixer remnants.

Any thoughts?

A new BC fan

#4 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:36 AM

Hi, I'm a great supporter of AČ, which is a Trojan finder, but has helped me greatly in the past with obscure pests. Free to download, slow but thorough scan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users