Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 8 Memory usage

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 draknoir42

draknoir42

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

Hello,

IE 8, when initially launched takes up a reasonable amount of memory (about 16MB), but the longer it stays open the more memory it occupies, and after about 20 to 30 minutes of browsing it will be using upwards of 350MB of memory and grind to a painful halt. I have not been able to find any causes or fixes for this after a quick google/bleepingcomputer search and wonder if anyone else has seen this problem.

I am running a fresh (I reformatted and reinstalled about a week ago) install of windows xp sp3 with all applicable updates and drivers installed.

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

You may have a memory leak with a dll file that gets used while you are running IE8.

Download VMMap here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dd535533.aspx

Make sure IE is closed then do the following:

-Extract the contents of the zip file and run the vmmap.exe file
-At the top of that window, click the Launch and trace a new process tab, then enter the path to iexplore.exe
(it should be C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe)
-Click OK and it will start up IE8
-Browse as you normally would until you see your memory usage get fairly high (I would go to at least 40 MB to make it a bit easier)
-Return to VMMap and push F5 (or click View -> Refresh) to make it refresh
-Click Trace
-Click on the Bytes column header to sort by the Bytes
**Note** If the first item doesn't have a relatively large Bytes value then you may need to trigger the leak more times (keep VMMap
running and remember to Refresh it each time you come back to it), or you may be incorrect about there being a leak at all. Otherwise, continue...
-Select the first item and then click Stack...

You will now see a list of DLLs involved when the memory was allocated. The component causing the memory leak is usually the first non-Windows DLL in the list. Let me know once you have the name of the DLL causing the problem (if this is actually the problem).

Edited by The_Outkast, 27 June 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#3 draknoir42

draknoir42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

VMmap is using up to 1.5GB of memory and crashing after about 2 minutes of usage.

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!

Program: C:\whatever\vmmap.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Pleas contact the application's support team for more information."

Edit: IE was acting strangely before the reformat and acting very sluggish after a moderate amount of use. This is one of the main reasons I went ahead and did the reformat of the system. Ive only got about 5 programs installed on my computer and they are all pretty common place. AVG, skype, Adobe reader, microsoft silverlight, VLC, spybot S&D, yahoo messenger, uTorrent (which Ive yet to use to download anything with yet). The new version of AVG is what made me aware that is was a memory usage issue that was causing IE to slow down.

Edited by draknoir42, 27 June 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#4 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

Have you tried to see if the same thing happens for other browsers? Or have you tried it with IE7?

#5 draknoir42

draknoir42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

How can I use IE 7 since ive upgraded?
I really dont want to have to install more software/another browser on my computer when it should come with a working browser bundled in it. Especially after a fresh drive wipe/windows install. I was really hoping someone else has had this issue :(

#6 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

You can download the installer for IE7 from Microsoft website.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2

You can uninstall IE8 from the add/remove programs, reboot, then run the IE7 installer.

I just suggested another browser so we could possibly rule out it being specific to IE.

#7 draknoir42

draknoir42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

I have uninstalled IE 8 and am now running the default XP browser of IE 6. IE 6 is using up to 50% of the processor power to render pages and the memory leak seems to be ongoing. I am still unsuccessful in my attempts to run VMmap. It crashes.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

Can you post the computer model and specs.? You can use Process Explorer for forum experts to check on background/running process by posting the result by following the steps:
1. Download and Run the program.
2. Go to View - Select Columns... and checkmark Command Line.
3. Click on File and choose Save As (Default : System Idle Process, Type : TXT file) and save it to your Desktop.
4. Open the text file found on your desktop and right-click - Select All. Right-click - Copy and Paste it on your next reply.

Tekken

#9 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

Are both of these true?

Under Regional and Language Options in Control Panel, the Turn off advanced text services check box is unchecked.

The value of the LoadIMM registry entry is set to 1 in hexadecimal format.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\IMM

If so, have a look here

And if you are still having problems after using the link above, see this

Edited by The_Outkast, 02 July 2012 - 06:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users