Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SP1 will causes comouter to crash on install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stantech

stantech

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:05 AM

I am working a Dell XPS 420 desktop, service tag# CM7LRF1 with Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I had to replace the hard drive and reload the system. The original hard drive was a 500G and I am installeing a 1 T. There is 4G RAM installed. After load vista from the original Dell OS CD I loaded the network driver and began to run updates. It seems to install about 100 updates before attemping to load SP1. However there is one other update that fails to load prior to SP1 and that is KB929777. I found that this may be caused by the 4G RAM, so I removed 2G and started over. At this point KB929777 doesn't seem to try to load. When I install SP1 it runs all the way through the restart and loads to stage 3 of 3, however at the end of stage 3 it tells me that SP1 could not install and computer is reverting back. At that point it crashes and I have to use the recovery disk to recover it. I also tried to manually install SP1 from a thumb drive with same result. I then went to a 500G HDD and everything worked great, so I got another 1 T HDD and the same result. I did flash the BIOS and reset the CMOS. I also tried to clone the 500G to one of the 1 T HDDs and the Windows update was completely in active. When I tried to update I would get a message that the Windows Update Service was disabled. I check and it was in face enabled. I reset it it and had the same result. Help please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:36 AM

Hi,

A few thoughts.

>>After load vista from the original Dell OS CD I loaded the network driver and began to run updates.<<

If it is a Dell Vista OS Installation Disk (without Dell drivers), I would first install the chipset driver then the network drivers.

>> I then went to a 500G HDD and everything worked great<<

Have you tried to create a 500GB partition on the 1 TB drive during the install? If it works you could expand the system partition after everything was updated.

>>I also tried to manually install SP1 from a thumb drive with same result.<<

I've found it frustrating using Windows Updates on newly installed Vista systems as it takes forever to accumulate the updates. I use
WSUS Offline Update. This program will download all updates and creates an iso file that can be burned to a DVD for an offline update of Windows.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 stantech

stantech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

I will try the chipset. I did create a 500G partition on the new HDD. ! will try the WSUS as well. Thanks. I just wanted to point out something new. It seems that SP1 is now installing in bits. When I run it from Windows updates It downloads a 1.9M file and installs it. It shows up in the update history as a successful install. After checking for more updates, it's back again with the same result. I am now showing 4 installs of SP1 in the update history but no evidence of actually having sp1 installed.

#4 stantech

stantech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:56 AM

Had to use a CD with SP-1 already installed to get this to work. Also, when updating to SP-2 I had to turn off UAC to get it to install. Not sure why, but once I got SP-2 installed updated worked fine.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

My flow with Vista installs is, Install Vista, Then the drivers from Dell.

Then Download from Microsoft the SP1 From Here
and SP2. From Here

Install SP1 from the download
Then Install SP2 from download
Then do the windows updates.

Also I'd bet you only see around 3Gb of that memory. Might as well take out 1GB personal opinion.

That procedure always works for me.
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users