Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Lags Every 4-7 minutes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CompH8R

CompH8R

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:54 AM

System Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Dual Core
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
6Gb 800Mhz Ram
Vista 64 Ultimate

So just as the title states, my computer lags ever 4-7 minutes for about 20-45 seconds then comes back. This is only during game play(swtor). Had no problems at first, game worked fine. Lag started up so I adjusted settings down to minimum. Seems to work for about an hour or 2 then it came back. Ive updated, uninstalled, reinstalled drivers. Uninstalled and reinstalled audio drivers, found a conflict and that seemed to work for about an hour. Each time it works for a few hours and then it comes back. Installed CCC from ATI. Worked great after I installed it then started stuttering so I turned it off. Game ran smooth for about a day. Issue cam back. Ran malwarebytes, TDSSKiller, antivirus, etc. Everything came back clean. I first thought it was System Idle Process or a problem with it but I put Task Manager on my second screen and waited for the lag spike. Nothing jumped up. System Idle process jump in usage at the end of the lag spike so it's doing it's job I guess. I'm completely lost. It also will lag while playing Counter Strike Source but only once in a while and I have to kill CSS in order to regain functionality. I've tried searching and I can't find anything specific to my problems. Sounds goes choppy, FPS goes from around 95 to .5 for those few seconds. Help...

P.S.: Temp is fine. Computer has plenty of airflow. Running water cooled CPU, sits at 40oC fully loaded. Vid card sitting at 57oC.

Edited by hamluis, 28 June 2012 - 11:29 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElFasso

ElFasso

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

Does the computer has/had any signs of BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)?

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

I first thought it was System Idle Process or a problem with it but I put Task Manager on my second screen and waited for the lag spike. Nothing jumped up. System Idle process jump in usage at the end of the lag spike so it's doing it's job I guess.

First, system idle process doesn't have a job - it simply reports how much of the processor is NOT being used. But if you say that it "jumps in usage at the end of the lag" that means some other process was spiking during the lag. Keep task manager open on the processes tab, but this time sort on the cpu column with highest usage at the top. Next time there's a lag, see which process is hogging the cycles.

#4 CompH8R

CompH8R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

ElFasso, I've had BSOD's before but nothing recent or in connection with this game.

Allan, I've done that and it's just the game that uses the resources, however a couple things, like Task Manager, and Scvhost.exe jumps up to around 1-2 and that's it. Swtor has 2 processes open to run the game, I've even changed their priority to High.

#5 CompH8R

CompH8R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

Actually I just ran it again and it appears that Task Manager starts taking resources up to 30% when it lags, alot of other resources are jumping around 1-3%. Lag spikes are all of the sudden around 10 seconds. No changes to settings or anything. The second instance of Swtor(it runs two, one over 1million KB, the other just over 400k KB) drops to 0% sometimes during the lag spike.

Edited by CompH8R, 27 June 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

Have you run full system scans with both your AV and MalwareBytes?

#7 CompH8R

CompH8R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

Yes and they cleaned the viruses and malware. Problem never went away.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

So there WAS a virus problem? In that case I suggest you post in the Am I Infected forum to make certain your system is free of malware.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,944 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

No need to repost as this topic was already moved to the Am I Infected forum.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:14 PM

Hello please posr your infected MBAM log.

The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Please download TDSSKiller.zip and and extract it.
  • Run TDSSKiller.exe.
  • Click on Change Parameters
  • Put a check in the box of Detect TDLFS file system
  • Click Start scan.
  • When it is finished the utility outputs a list of detected objects with description.
    The utility automatically selects an action (Cure or Delete) for malicious objects.
    The utility prompts the user to select an action to apply to suspicious objects (Skip, by default). Let the options as it is and click Continue
  • Let reboot if needed and tell me if the tool needed a reboot.
  • Click on Report and post the contents of the text file that will open.

Note: By default, the utility outputs the log into system disk (it is usually the disk with installed operating system, C:\) root folder. The Log has a name like: TDSSKiller.Version_Date_Time_log.txt.

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and check Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

NOTE: In some instances if no malware is found there will be no log produced.

Please download aswMBR ( 511KB ) to your desktop.
  • Double click the aswMBR.exe icon to run it
  • Click the Scan button to start the scan
  • On completion of the scan, click the save log button, save it to your desktop and post it in your next reply.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users