Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A late introduction

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 4on4off

4on4off

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:59 PM

Hello Bleepingcomputer community,

I go by 4on4off in cyberland both here and there. My friends call me 4, please feel free to do so.

I work a rotating shift schedule of 12 hour days that was the inspiration for my handle. I spend my days either working overtime on my days off or surfing the web. I frequent this site as I, as a hobby, help my close friends and family with cleaning there pc's as needed. There are some times when I am in over my head and the more I read here I see that certain skills are needed to dig deeper and thoroughly clean a pc. I always find useful information here and I am very grateful.

I have had the pleasure of meeting cryptodan,narenxp,boopme,fireman4it,gringo pr and many others.

At one point working on a pc I came across a nasty self replicating worm that I could not keep up with using the tools I had at the time:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic436885.html/page__p__2542937__fromsearch__1#entry2542937

I then enlisted BC for assistance and the pc in question that belongs to my sister-n-law was restored to working order as fireman4it helped me help them tackle the zeroaccess rootkit. A few other times I had to call on the BC communty for assistance and you have always answered the call.

I myself have 3 desktops and a two laptops. Years ago when I first encountered one of the fake alerts out there, it fired my hard drive. Ever since then I have been gaining knowlege and tools and fighting the good fight against malware.

I am generally in good order with my computers, once I got the kids trained on what to look for, but I recently have had to call upon you here at BC to assist me with an issue on my own personal pc that has been plaguing me and I am unable to deal with.

Another thing I want to mention is something that bothers me a bit. The friends and family members that I help I do so for free but I tell them if I have to call upon this forum for assistance that they should consider donating for the help received. I have yet to have one of them do so but the more that I see the time that everyone puts in here helping people with problems they cannot cure themselves the more I feel that my friends and family are wrong. I do not for one moment feel that anyone here is concerned with it but I have spoken to them and I will be looking back over the assistance they have been given and I will be donating on there behalf to those that have helped them.

Like I said I don't believe that anyone here is concerned with it but it bothers me and I want to make things right. I personally know what goes into cleaning pc's on the level that I am able to do it and I see the time spent by those here doing so and it is greatly multiplied compared to what I do.

Just wanted to say hi and get that off my chest.

Thanks again for being here and keep up the good work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users