Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on updating XP to SP3

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Dermont

Dermont

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

Hello,

I want to update XP from SP2 to SP3. I turned off auto updates 2-3 years ago, and havn't updated anything in windows for that time. What do I need to do to make this go smooth?

Thanks for your help.

Dermont

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

Hi

First you should back up all data to a backup source(CD/DVD/flash drive, external hard drive, online storage etc). You may want to download the SP3 installer which may save time as SP3 isn't offered until you do all updates for SP2. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

Hi -
Please also visit the posting listed at this site for details on Updating to XP SP3 and see if this will help you -
Link here >> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic146857.html/page__view__findpost__p__824914

Thank You -

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:50 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 Dermont

Dermont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hello,

The PC is a Dell Dimension E510

Dermont

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

These links should point you in the right direction:

Dell - Installing SP3 - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=04&dl=false&l=en&s=bsd&docid=47DABAC4EAEE89F3E040A68F5A282CDA&doclang=en

Dell - SP3 FAQ - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=04&dl=false&l=en&s=bsd&docid=4B7BF14FA25A4429E040A68F5A282C3C&doclang=en

Louis

#7 Dermont

Dermont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

Hello,

If I understand everything that I have read, I should use the download method to install SP3 as I may not have all the updates for SP2. After this install, will I then still need updates for SP2 or will they be included in the SP3 install.

Thanks,
Dermont

#8 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

Hi

Yes that's the recommended option. No, but you will still need to update SP3 with the latest updates. :)

#9 Dermont

Dermont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

Hello,

So I need to do SP3 update using download method, after SP3 is installed then turn on auto updates to get all newer updates installed. Then I should be up to date at that point.

Dermont

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

SP3 contains over 100 updates that you need...in one package.

Since SP3 was originally issued, there have been well over 100 additional updates issued that you need. You can get these by just going to Windows Update after SP3 is installed.

Louis

#11 Dermont

Dermont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

Hello,

When backing up the PC, is it best to do a whole drive backup or just your personal files (phots, music, docs, etc.)as I have done with my "WD my passport" external drive?

Dermont

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

It's your system...you determine what is your best backup plan...you determine if anything is valuable and would cause you unnecessary frustration if you could not access those files tomorrow.

If you are sking questions about backing up now...that seems to indicate that you don't do it routinely, which is dangerous, IMO.

Example...I don't mind reinstalling Windows every day, if I have to...becaue I have install disks and valid keys and have no concerns about PA. But I have a lot of music, videos, and graphics files that I would hate to lose. So I just back up everything, including the O/S, because it seems foolish not to just backup everything rather than do a piecemeal job where I might miss something important.

So I back up the entire Windows partition and make extras copies (on spare hard drives) of all my data files.

Louis

#13 Dermont

Dermont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

Hello,

How is the best way to backup everything? Just copy C drive to external drive?

Dermont

#14 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

I have a similar preference as hamluis. I often reformat and so on.

No, it doesn't work that way. You'll need to use imaging software to properly do that which will clone the drive and allow you to boot from a disc and put Windows back like it was when you imaged it. Take a look at Macrium Reflect Free. It will copy your hard drive to an external source and have you create a bootable disc in case you need to restore your computer state.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

I use Macrium Reflect to copy the Windows partitions :thumbsup: .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users