Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about SLI and Crossfire

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Let me see if I got my facts straight.
1. Crossfire is an AMD/ATI technology.
2. SLI is an Nvidia technology.
3. Hybrid Crossfire is the ability to run the integrated graphics chip with a single dedicated graphics card.
4. Crossfire allows a maximum of two identical graphics cards to run in sync.
5. SLI allows up to 3 identical graphics cards to run in sync.
6. SLI or Crossfire cannot be achieved unless you are using identical dedicated graphics cards, the cards must proclaim to support the technology, and the motherboard must also claim to support the technology. Any two graphics cards that do not claim to be SLI/Crossfire cannot be made to do so.
7. there is no technology allowing for 2 or more dedicated graphics cards to run in sync with the onboard/integrated graphics chip (a total of 3 GPU's with one of them being the MoBo's GPU).
8. the GPU of a Graphics card is made by either AMD/ATI, or NVidia, the rest of the card is put together by various companies that build the model to the same specs, and the only difference between them is the waranty, price, advertizing, customer service, i.e. a "Radeon HD 6850" made by MSI and one made by Sapphire will perform identical, and have the same driver
9. it does not matter if the motherboard's onboard graphics chip is made by Intel, AMD, ATI, or Nvidia, dedicated graphics cards by AMD/ATI and Nvidia can still be plugged into the Motherboard.
10. There is no disadvantage to mix/matching dedicated cards with onboard GPUs i.e. AMD MoBo chipset, running Nvidia dedicated graphics cards.

Let me know if I got any of that wrong.

And a few questions:
How much of a performance gain can someone expect by running two cards in sync?

Is it true that the majority of the performance gain you get from running 2 cards is the video memory increase?

And a few questions about different companies manufacturing Graphics cards:

Can two cards of the same model, that support SLI/crossfire be made to run in sync if they are made by different companies, for example, a "Radeon HD 6850" one made by Saphire, the other made by MSI?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

1. Correct, crossfire is an AMD technology.

2. SLI is an NVIDIA technology.

3. Hybrid allows an integrated AMD video card to run with any single dedicated video card from the previous series. So if you have an integrated 5670, the dedicated card must be a 4000 series card. SLI has no hybrid system.

4. Crossfire allows up to four video cards, and they dont have to be identical-as long as the first two numbers match, the rest is fine. You can for instance, crossfire a 4850 anda 4890 with no problem whatsoever.

5. SLI also can support up to 4 video cards, however, unlike AMD they do have to have identical GPUs. You can mix memory, however, it will default to the lower memory-so if one card has 512 meg of ram, and the other one gig, you will only use 512 meg of the 1 gig card.

6.yes, the cards must have support for SLI or crossfire, and the motherboard does to-though its mostly motherboard, virtually any nvidia or AMD video card out there has support for multi-GPU video cards.

7.Im not sure if hybrid will allow for more then one dedicated, it would seem useless though if you have 2 or more dedicated cards then there would be no use for the integrated-it would just slow it down.

8. in theory yes, the difference is the price advertising whatnot, but there are more differences such as quality of components, and manufacture, and some companies include different display ports, different methods of cooling, as well as certain models come with a factory overclock.

9. correct, the onboard chipset does not matter unless your planning on running multi-GPUs, then you need to make sure the motherboard supports it.

10. its debateable. In theory there isnt, but sometimes you have driver conflicts if you mix nvidia chipsets with AMD video cards, rare but it happens.

As far as performance gain, depends on the game. I run crossfire, in in CODmw3, I notice little to no difference in graphics or framerate between a single or a crossfired card, however in battlefield bad company 2 or BF3 theres a night and day difference-easily a 40-50 fps gain.

Yes and no, actually in SLI both units of ram function as one, so you see little increase there, Crossfires a bit different, but the bulk of the performance comes from the extra GPU.

and yes-as long as the chipsets right (AMD the first two numbers match, SLI the exact same GPU) the manufacturer doesnt matter.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

Thank you very much the_patriot11 for this reply, you were very helpful :)

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

Not a problem, hope I answered everything well enough for you. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users