Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

survival guide

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

The economic crunch that we're in has effected us all in one form or another, this has been on my mind as i know it has on many of yours as well..
Times are tough and for some it's become a daily struggle to just survive, after some careful thought and consideration, I've decided to dip into
the past and try to be of some help to those that are finding it hard to just put food on the table everyday.

Perhaps your work place has been out sourced and your left without a job, so you're looking for work everyday without much success, if any at all..OR you have been able to find a job, but it doesn't pay what you need it to, so the bills are piling up and your feeling overwhelmed..not sure what to do next or even where to start.

There are some common sense things that you can do to help yourself until things improve....
Are you in the process of buying a home and the mortgage has become more then you can handle right now??
Perhaps you can RENT your home and find something more inline with your finances to RENT yourself???
Now you have income from this..count yourself lucky to be in this position!! Many don't have that option, and once things have improved you still have your home...downsizing isn't always a bad thing...sometimes less is more!!

IF you are RENTING,perhaps you need to find something cheaper, yes i know this also means smaller usually..life is a trade off.....sometimes you need to give up something to get what you need...yes bells and whistles are nice,but they do not a life make..there just bells and whistles
The neccessities of life are far more important...like a safe, warm, dry roof over your head,food on your table,smiles on your childrens faces, and on yours as well..these are the gems of life to be treasured..bells and whistles don't make you any more or less...they just make you broke.

Take a very hard look at what your paying for each month, and cut out to the bone what's really NOT necessary
for example having 2 cars is nice..BUT are they necessary??Perhaps you can get by with one?? OR maybe you could refinance them?? Or trade them in on something cheaper, so now you have 2 cars, BUT your payments are less....like maybe 2 for the price of one....Bottom line is all that you really need is dependable Transportation.

Eating out is nice..BUT not necessary.
does a food delivery service visit your house once a month?? again nice BUT not necessary

At this point i'm going to invite you to the nuts and bolts of how to survive.

WELCOME To The SURVIVAL THREAD!!!!!

I've been broke and needed to survive a few times in my life, it's a hard place to find yourself in....and even harder if you don't have a clue as to how on earth to help yourself while your there!! I didn't at first,but i learned and i'd like to share with you what i learned and put it into practical use.
If your single or a small family chances are that social services aren't gonna be much help..some but not much!
At this point i'm gonna tell you this"DON'T YOU FOR A MINUTE FEEL BAD ABOUT GOING TO THEM FOR HELP!!!" Your tax dollars have already paid for the help that you receive!!!
I remeber well the first time i had to go to them for help, i had to choke on my pride BUT i went.....and then some angel made the comment to me that my tax dollars had already paid for the little help that i received!!.. for that comment i was able to hold my head high again!! I no longer felt like a failure, because of the wisdom in those words I felt human again!!

FOOD Banks/Pantry's are a great resource!! so ask in your area where they are, start with your local churches they should know if they don't already have one themselves!! Get your name on the list asap!!
The downside to Food banks/Pantry's is that you can usually only go once a month, and you are only allowed so much per family size...and yes they do help out single folks as well.
There are necessities of life that they usually don't have such as toliet paper,shampoo,laundry soap. dish soap.ect....
and if they do have it they give it out sparingly!! like 2 rolls at a time ect...BUT get what you can!!

Theres away around the toliet paper shortage..LOL
there are stores like "Dollar General" or something like it just about every where.....here's where your gonna get the most bang for you buck!!
like toliet paper, and the other necessities of life...there sooo much cheaper then your local grocery store!!
spices run 2 for $1.00...coffee is cheaper, so is coffee creamer...crackers...zip lock bags....just look around
http://www2.dollargeneral.com/About-Us/Pages/index.aspx

Next i'm gonna tell you that Farmers Markets and FLEA Markets are also great resources....
pack some sanwiches and grab a jug of Iced Tea or koolaidand go!! it makes a great family outing!!!
Produce is gonna be much cheaper!! Peppers, Onions,potatoes,squash, mellons, Tomatoes, fruits and berries( heres where those zip lock bags are gonna come in handy! If you have a freezer GREAT!! your already a step ahead of the game!!....IF not those bags are still gonna comein handy!!, you can store more if it's flat to begin with!)

If your lucky enough to have a DENTED and BRUISED store in your location RUN don't walk to it..LOL
yes the can's are dented, BUT dented doesn't mean bad!! The way to tell if a can has gone bad is to simply place your hands on the can now with your thumbs push up from the bottom, IF the top of the can DOESN"T pop up and the can feels solid then it's good!..if it doesn't don't get it!! it's bad....
these places are gold mines!!

Remember that Food banks and Pantry's only let you go once a month, this may seem like cheating..BUT this is survival!!!
Get your name on a couple of list's if you can!!!

There are also places like CATHOLIC CHARITIES and LUTHERN CHARITIES that may be of some assistance to you as well.

When you are in your local grocert store TAKE YOUR TIME and LOOK AROUND, you can get some great deals if you look around.
Think you can't have things like steak, seafood??WRONG!!!
Surviving doesn't mean beans and taters..LOL

NOW let's get to the nut's and bolts, you have your hidden treasures, now you need to make the most of what you've got!!

STOCKIN UP YOUR CUPBOARDS AND FRIDGE

Flour Butter/Margine canned Tomatoes( both crushed and diced) Boullion cubes
Sugar cooking Oil Canned veges Bacon ends( ask at the meat counter)
Salt Spaghetti Sauce Frozen veges Lunch meat ends( ask at the deli)
Baking Powder Spaghetti TUNA Eggs
Baking Soda Maccaroni Ketchup Canned Milk
Spices Macaroni and Cheese Mayonaise Canned Beans
corn bread mix egg noodles Mustard Salad Dressings
Bread Rice Pickles Italian Salad dressing
Powdered Milk Ramen Noodles dried Beans Vinegar
coffee/tea Coffe creamer Jello/pudding Jared salsa
cheese's Crackers Cake mixes Chocolate Syrup
Instant potatoes Taco seasoning mixes gravey mixes Marinating mixes
Chili Mixes Tortillias Oatmeal brownie mix
Jelly/grape jelly texas Pete/hot sauce shredded wheat cereal soups/ creamed soups
Peanut Butter worchestershire sauce soy sauce Tomato Sauce
pancake syrup sour creme greek yogurt Tomato Paste
Garlic onions Peppers mushrooms
chicken legs and thighs hamburger bulk sausage shrimp
Steak iceberg lettuce Tomatoes Potatoes
Fruits celery carrots Turkey
Yams cranberry sauce french bread Pizza sauce
spinach/fresh/frozen Garlic powder Garlic Salt Chili powder
Lemon Pepper seasoning Italian seasoning poultry seasoning Cinnamon
dried thyme dried basil nutmeg dried parsley/fresh
foil zip lock bags Ice Cream frosting
Apples Pears Peaches Bananas
Canned corn Canned creamed style corn green beans/frozen Peas/frozen
carrots/frozen Chocolate Chips Raisins Nuts
pork roast sourkraut hot dogs Frozen mixed veges
Corn Starch
TIPS AND TRICKS

Get a Huge box of Baking soda baking soda has many uses.....outta toothpaste use baking soda,sprinkle a little on your carpet to freshen it
put some in your trash can to kill orders,same with the fridge.....

Peroxide is a cheap disenfectant!!! use it in your bathroom, Kitchen,It can also be used as a mouthwash, just don't swollow it
use it full strength.

need a soft ice pac?? i part peroxide to 2 parts water in a zip lock bag, put it in your freezer.

outta shampoo?? dish soap will work,outta conditioner??? use fabric softener....

Like frsh Herbs?? grow your own, just get a cheap flower pot!!

there's not a college student alive that doesn't know the joy of Ramen Noodles and bologna.....LOL
look up the Ramen Noodle cookbook!!!

Smoke?? Learn to roll your own!! Go to your local tobacco store, get your tobacco, tubes.rollers....it's cheaper!!

Think you can't have Steak, Seafood??? OOO yes you can!! survival doesn't mean deprived!!!
Lokk at the steaks see what's on sale or cheap....round steaks in a crockpot with gravey,onions and mushrooms is great!! serve it over noodles (add a little corn Starch to the gravey)
rounds steaks are a tough cut, but work well when slow simmered like in hungarian goulash....equal parts round steak cut up with equal parts onions add a quarter cup of paprika and use the boullian cubes to make a quick broth with some water, brown thr steak, remove from the pan cook your onions, add the steak back in with the paprika and cover with your broth..let simmer for a few hours or put it in your crock pot.....serve it over noodles with a little sour cream.
use it to make vegetable soup
chuck chuck eye steaks are nothing more then a cheap ribeye.....you can usually get 2 in a package for about $5.00,
you can make stir fry with it, put it in a salad.....this will stretch those 2 steaks to feed at least 4 people

chopped steak, put it in either a pan or your crockpot,add onions, peppers and some ketchup mixed with some water, let it cook slow, serve it over mashed potatoes
fry it up quick chop it up and put it in ommlets, tortillia's,ect.....

Shrimp, get it on sale, ask at the counter if they will steam it for you and if they will and do it for free Let them!!
here again make stir fry,put it in a salad,take canned corn and cream style corn, canned milk this makes a chowder add your shrimp
chop it up and out it in an omlett....the posibilities are endless!!

Fake crab mixed with some celery, peppers and tartar sauce makes great sandwiches..chopped shimp can also be used here
here again the possibilties are endless!!

Like croutons in your salad, don't buy em Make them yourself you'll get more!!
use cheap store brand bread,cut it up and let it dry out in the oven or on your counter overnight,pour Italian salad dressing on the dry cubes and and mix it up, put it in your oven at 350 for a few minutes, stir it after a few minutes, once cool put them in a zip lock bag.....
don'y buy bread cubes to make stuffing...just do the above but don't use the salad dressing.....

Don't buy pancake mix make your own, there's lot of recipes on the web....
use cornbread mix to make mexican pizza, make up your mix according to package directions, let it bake until half done, while it's baking fry up some hamburger with onions, peppers,garlic,and taco seasoning, pull cornbread out od the oven pour your hamburger mixture over it and put it back in the oven until done then add shredded chese of your choice to the top and put it back in the oven untill the cheese is melted.....serve with a salad....

Cheese, get it on sale and shred it yourself!! cheese freezes nicely! don't have a box grater?? get one there cheap.....or cut up your cheese in tiny tiny cubes.....

Fake crab can also be used to make crab soup, just make regular vegetable soup, only use some old bay as your seasoning and the fake crab.....add the fake crab at the end just before you serve it,,,,same if you use shrimp.....

don't buy biscuits make your own!! Get the recipe from thr web or on the back of the baking powder can.....

use yellow cake mix to make chocolate chip cookies,,get the recipe on the web

like tomato soup, make your own,it's easy, used a big can of crushed tomatoes and a big can of diced tomatoes or cut up some tomatoes, put some oil in a pan to this i add onion,and garlic let it cook for a few minutes then add your tomatoes, some fried basil, or some frozen chopped spinach....you get more and it tastes better if you like it creamed just add a little milk....serve with a nice grilled cheese sandwich .

I'll add more tips and tricks and recipes later.....

I hope this helps......see you don't have to deprive yourself to survive!!!!

RESPECTFULLY
MIss Placed

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:48 AM

Lotta wurdz :crazy:...head gonna Posted Image
J/K, you know me--justa lil'
Posted Image

Bookmarked, will look @ it later just wanted to say wazzup, missed you around these parts! :hello:

#3 MissPlaced

MissPlaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:03 AM

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:
Good to see you as well :busy:
My fingers are still smokin :lol:

MissPlaced

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#4 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

Hi,

I stumbled accross this today, while it's not primarily about saving money, there are quite a few tips there that allow you to make cheap replacements for otherwise expensive stuff: http://malloxcast.com/post/33950512133/une-liste-de-99-hacks-en-images-pour-vous-simplifier-la
(There's also a number of tips that will just make everybody's life easier. :)

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users