Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

End to End error count - 98

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 im abcd

im abcd

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:17 AM

So this was my previous thread :
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic457795.html

From it as you come to know , that my 1 tb has started working fine and is giving me no error but still out of inquisitiveness i decided to do a S.M.A.R.T test using Speed fan .

And it is showing that the end to end error count is failing . .

The test results :

Raw Read Error Rate		118		00000BE94D1A
		Spin Up Time		96		000000000000
		Start/Stop Count		96		0000000012FD
		Reallocated Sector Count		100		000000000000
		Seek Error Rate		71		000000CDE30E
		Power On Hours Count		96		000000000EC5
		Spin Retry Count		100		000000000000
		Power Cycle Count		98		00000000097C
		SATA Downshift Error Count		100		000000000000
		End To End Error Count		98		000000000002
		Reported Uncorrectable Errors		100		000000000000
		Command Time Out		100		003E003E0044
		High Fly Writes		100		000000000000
		Hardware ECC Recovered		31		00000BE94D1A
		Current Pending Sector		100		000000000000
		Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count		100		000000000000
		Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate		200		000000004448
		Write head		100		847600002821
		Total LBAs Written		100		000095BCDE77
		Total LBAs Read		100		0000634C1197

How is this possible if i just got this hard disk a few days ago?

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

Since it was a replacement for a failed drive it could be new or repaired. It could have had a rough journey.
Even new parts can be defective, it happens.

Since the drive is a Seagate I would use Seatools the Seagate diagnostic. It can be found at
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

There are versions for windows or you can create a Bootable DOS version and use that. MY preference.

The drive makers diagnostic program is the definitive test in my opinion. If the drive is really going bad then the Seatools will provide a error code that will help with a RMA from Seagate.
Run the Short test and the long test.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 im abcd

im abcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

Since it was a replacement for a failed drive it could be new or repaired. It could have had a rough journey.
Even new parts can be defective, it happens.

Since the drive is a Seagate I would use Seatools the Seagate diagnostic. It can be found at
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

There are versions for windows or you can create a Bootable DOS version and use that. MY preference.

The drive makers diagnostic program is the definitive test in my opinion. If the drive is really going bad then the Seatools will provide a error code that will help with a RMA from Seagate.
Run the Short test and the long test.

Good Luck
Roger

I have the bootable disk , but currently short of time . Will run it as soon as possible , Thanks :D

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#4 im abcd

im abcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

I performed the short and long tests and passed them both without any errors :)

Edit : Also i hear a single click sound once in a few hours .

Edited by im abcd, 27 June 2012 - 02:09 PM.

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

well I trust the specific drive maker software to test their drive more than a software that isn't brand specific.
Having said that the Dell & HP built-in drive and memory diagnostics seem reliable too.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 im abcd

im abcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

well I trust the specific drive maker software to test their drive more than a software that isn't brand specific.
Having said that the Dell & HP built-in drive and memory diagnostics seem reliable too.

Roger

Um , so does that mean that it is safe to use the hard disk and my hard disk is completely fine ? o.0

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

How can I put it? OK, if it were mine I would be using it. However I keep nothing on any of my drives that would be a problem if they died. Anything I worry about losing gets burned to DVD or BluRay discs and put on the shelf.

It passed the drive makers test. In theory they know their product better than speedfan does.

I have always found that some drives are just noisier too. I try and stay with silent ones especially in the computer hooked up to the TV set. The other benefit of a silent computer is that when something is starting to go bad you will be more likely to hear it before it dies.

If I were not totally sure that a drive was good I'd be using it for temp storage, for example to save to when I work with video since when I'm done they get erased anyway.

In your case if you don't feel comfortable with it you could try and RMA it again. Keeping in mind that the drives they get back fro RMA get repaired and shipped out as a replacement in the RMA process. Or they get sold as refurbished. I've had RMA drives that lasted and others that died and had to be RMA again. Hence my Backup system now in use. That would be Important on a internal drive, and and external drive and on a DVD or BluRay disc.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 im abcd

im abcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

How can I put it? OK, if it were mine I would be using it. However I keep nothing on any of my drives that would be a problem if they died. Anything I worry about losing gets burned to DVD or BluRay discs and put on the shelf.

It passed the drive makers test. In theory they know their product better than speedfan does.

I have always found that some drives are just noisier too. I try and stay with silent ones especially in the computer hooked up to the TV set. The other benefit of a silent computer is that when something is starting to go bad you will be more likely to hear it before it dies.

If I were not totally sure that a drive was good I'd be using it for temp storage, for example to save to when I work with video since when I'm done they get erased anyway.

In your case if you don't feel comfortable with it you could try and RMA it again. Keeping in mind that the drives they get back fro RMA get repaired and shipped out as a replacement in the RMA process. Or they get sold as refurbished. I've had RMA drives that lasted and others that died and had to be RMA again. Hence my Backup system now in use. That would be Important on a internal drive, and and external drive and on a DVD or BluRay disc.

Roger

Hmm , so i am just going to keep using it and keep taking back ups at regular intervals :wink:

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:09 AM

Hmm , so i am just going to keep using it and keep taking back ups at regular intervals :wink:

AND ... keep an eye on that SMART data, particularly the error you have highlighted! :exclame:

Edit: FWIW ... I would be more inclined to be attentive to the SMART data than I would be inclined to put any faith in any of the manufacturers diagnostic tool overall assessments!

Edited by AustrAlien, 30 June 2012 - 08:11 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#10 im abcd

im abcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

AND ... keep an eye on that SMART data, particularly the error you have highlighted! :exclame:

Edit: FWIW ... I would be more inclined to be attentive to the SMART data than I would be inclined to put any faith in any of the manufacturers diagnostic tool overall assessments!

I will conduct regular S.M.A.R.T checkups and see if it is getting worst .

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

That's about the best you can do, I think.

Good luck.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users