Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secondary Laptop/Desktop Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bibbbyshibby

bibbbyshibby

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:05 AM

Hi there,
A while back my HP Media Centre desktop crashed and only some files were recoverable
after being repaired the computer worked fine for a few months probably about a year
anyways it has since crashed again resulting in an "ntdlr is missing" issue, I dont have
a boot CD to resolve this issue so i've connected my desktop hard drive to my laptop via sata usb
adapter, when I attempt to view the files on the desktop hard drive via my laptop I'm only
able to view files that I had on the computer before it's initial crash and I am unable to view the
files that i had saved in the time before it crashed the second time, when i use to use my desktop there
were several profiles to log into all the other profiles appear except for the one i had most recently used..

So what i'm wondering is how i can view those hidden files from my desktop hard drive
i have a lot of important files that i need to recover some how so any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated!

My desktop computer is an HP Media centre edition 2005 running windows XP
and my laptop is an LG e500 running XP aswell

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

Do you mean user profiles?

Tekken

#3 bibbbyshibby

bibbbyshibby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

Do you mean user profiles?

I guess so yeah, If I were able to boot up the computer I'd select my profile log in and
then access all my files, so when I connect the hard drive to the computer I go into Documents and settings to view the
different profile folders I see: Administrator,All users,Default User,HP_Administrator,TEMP,x bran x, but not the
profile I normally logged into that has all my files

- also when i plug the usb in I get two different drives, one is f:\HP_Pavilion and the other H:\HP_Recovery

Edited by bibbbyshibby, 26 June 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

a profile should not be hidden. there should be a folder C:\documents and settings\user name (each profile with a different user name)
to unhide folders go to Folder options in control panel -> view tab -> check Show hidden files -> apply

#5 bibbbyshibby

bibbbyshibby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

a profile should not be hidden. there should be a folder C:\documents and settings\user name (each profile with a different user name)
to unhide folders go to Folder options in control panel -> view tab -> check Show hidden files -> apply

I did that as well, but nothing else showed except for a Local service and network service folders, & it seems like the only user profile folder that has actual files is the HP_Admin folder which has about 5-6gb of data the other just have a a couple MB

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

and your files are not in the HP_Admin folder ? is that the folder you used after the first crash ?

HP_Recovery will re-install windows but you will lose all your files.

Hard drive may be failing and has lost info that windows needs to locate files on drive. I would be curious to see if Linux would show you more.

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

also .. Recuva is a good program to attempt to recover lost files

#8 bibbbyshibby

bibbbyshibby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

x bran x, and HP_Administrator were both profiles that were used before the initial crash
and - the files on these profiles were actually from another hard drive that had failed, but I'm wondering
if there's like a different drive that I can view? like the D drive or the C drive, maybe the files are there?

#9 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

you can check in disk management. right click My Computer -> Manage -> disk management.
this will show you the partitions on the drive.
HP_Recovery is the original system setup and contains the Operating System (Windows)
There may be another partition or maybe "unallocated space"

#10 bibbbyshibby

bibbbyshibby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

you can check in disk management. right click My Computer -> Manage -> disk management.
this will show you the partitions on the drive.
HP_Recovery is the original system setup and contains the Operating System (Windows)
There may be another partition or maybe "unallocated space"

okay in disk management there are several drives: but two drives have a different file system (I'll include the file systems)
c: - NTFS
Acronis sz - FAT32 <-this ones status says unknown partition
Cache (d:) - NTFS
HP_Pavilion- NTFS
HP_Recovery- Fat32
New Volume E: - NTFS

#11 bibbbyshibby

bibbbyshibby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

this recuva program seems to kinda work, im just wondering if theres a way I simply just unlock
these hiddens files, the paths of the files when searched for on the drive doesn't show but recuva seems to see some of them?

and thank you for assisting me by the way

#12 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

if recuva can see some of the files you may as well let it recover them. they could be the only ones you will end up with.

The files you found are on the HP Pavilion partition, correct ?

#13 bibbbyshibby

bibbbyshibby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

if recuva can see some of the files you may as well let it recover them. they could be the only ones you will end up with.

The files you found are on the HP Pavilion partition, correct ?

Yeah they are all from that partition, I'm curious though how come it would just
appear I'm assuming by the path listed the files weren't deleted?

#14 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

no, but they could be corrupt due to bad sectors on the hard drive or the information that points to where they are stored on the hard drive could be corrupt.

Got to get some sleep
Other good file recovery software at easus.com . Look for their free programs.
good luck
i'll check back

sorry thats http://www.easeus.com/

Edited by caperdog, 26 June 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:45 AM

Maybe you need to take ownership of the hard drive. http://techfleece.com/2011/05/15/how-to-take-ownership-of-files-or-folders-or-an-entire-hard-drive/

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users