Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Linux

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 comet@earth

comet@earth

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:08 AM

I have this very old laptop with Win XP installed in it.I want to install Linux in it.If I install Linux into it will I be able to access the internet through ethernet from the laptop?Do I need to change the drivers?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:37 AM

Not enough information.

Ethernet? Probably. But no way to tell because we aren't even told what this 'old laptop' is. Only that it's an old laptop.

Get a live CD (Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, or choose between one of the others), burn it and boot from that. You can see if everything works that way. Then install whatever you're testing once you're satisfied. Or test other live CDs until you have the one you like, then install it. But at least you'll know beforehand if things will work without having to remove anything from the machine first.

#3 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

Good Idea.The laptop is HCL.I am unable to figure out the model of the laptop.Help me please.

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

Is there no tag on the bottom that says who made it, model number, etc?

I would still suggest using live media. With that you can see what works and what, if anything, doesn't.

From within Windows' device manager you can find out a lot about the computer. Maybe not the model, but certainly the speed, memory, drive size and usually some of the hardware will also name who manufactured it.

You can find some of that out via linux as well. But it's mostly commandline stuff. And even that isn't detailed enough sometimes.

But if you run live media, you won't have to know what any of it is unless something doesn't work. And if something doesn't work, knowing more about it can usually lead to answers about how to get it working.

#5 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

You may wish to download Speccy. It'll show your hardware specification in an easy to read format. :)

#6 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

The model number is M360BAT-6 and the make is HCL.I shall boot from the live CD and post back if I have any problems.
Thank You everyone.

The model number is M360BAT-6 and the make is HCL.I shall boot from the live CD and post back if I have any problems.
Thank You everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users