Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Message At Startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 truenorth

truenorth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 06:42 PM

Greeting to the BC forum members. This is my first ever posting on a forum of any kind. I am seeking assistance from those of you that feel you may help with an error message i am recieving on another computer. The message is"Windows protection error. you need to restart your computer" This message occurs at startup. I first get the DOS page recognizing the computer.Then i get the scan page of my drives(both harddrives and removable media drives. then i get the automatic AVG virus scan scanning the computer. It finds no viruses.Then i get the Windows 98 logo window opening. Then i get the DOS page defaulting to the #3 in a list "Safe Mode" page opening.Then i wait for the countdown to complete and when it does i then get the error message mentioned above. Restarting my computer only starts the whole process over again from the beginning and ends with the same result. I would be very grateful to those of you that can help me to solve this problem.Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:37 PM

Hi truenorth glad to have ya.
Have you installed any new software or hardware?
If you boot in safe mode do you still get the error?
To start in Safe mode, restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key until the 98 Startup menu appears, and then choose Safe Mode.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:41 PM

Interesting. Did this just start? If so, you might try going back in the registry. Windows 98 keeps five copies of the registry and you can restore one of them. To do this, you need a Win98 startup disk. (You did make one of those, didn't you?) Put it in the drive and start the computer with DOS. Then, type

scanreg /restore

and hit enter. You should be presented with choices and they should say "started." Choose one and when the registry restore is done, take out the startup disk and hit ctrl-alt-delete to restart the computer normally.

#4 truenorth

truenorth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:48 AM

:thumbsup: In the interests of assisting others that may wonder what caused the above error message and how it was solved this is what did it. Due to the kind assistance of 2 other BC forum members a suggestion was to remove each of the 256mb RAM modules one at a time (starting with the one farthest from the CPU) and restart the computer. After removing the 1st stick and restarting the computer it worked fine again. I assumed that module was defective and had communicated with the Mfgr. to arrange warranty replacement. They suggested i reinsert the module and see what happens. I did and it is now working as normal displaying 496mb of ram. :flowers: Thanks to those that helped me overcome this problem from the BC community.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:52 AM

Hello truenorth
Thanks for contacting me thru PM, I understand your difficulty with using the forum as a novice. Please read the links I provided on how to use the forum.
I'm going to post this Here also so it may help some one else out.
Since you cannot do much else on that PC as far as internet and testing. I feel your problem is RAM related. Please Unplug your PC and remove the stick of RAM furthest from the CPU. Reboot and see if you still ge the error. If still a problem, also try switching the Sticks and reboot this will confirm the bad stick(s). Always unplug first.
Try posting the results here so we'll now if the RAM and forum use problems are solved .

Well glad to see you got it all ...

Edited by boopme, 06 March 2006 - 11:55 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users