Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attempting to install Windows

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SSXVegeta

SSXVegeta

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:57 PM

I have been having a hell of a time trying to fix this laptop for a friend...

I ended up backing up all their files and going to reinstall windows 7 completely...
in the process of doing so, it would get to the point where it would reboot and say 'Completing installation' and would just sit there completely frozen.

So, I was trying a few things, such as disabling problem drivers and now when I try to start the installation process over, it now says something about their not being a needed driver for the CD/DVD drive (Which is weird considering that its reading the cd from the drive to tell me that...AND NO, I didnt uninstall or disable the cd drive's driver.)

It seems everything I do to this laptop just leads me to another dead end.. so I figured I would shoot out a forum post and see if I could get any assistance on this matter.

A quick note before I post this - I've read some people claim that switching on the SATA AHCI in the bios settings would help the original issue of it freezing. (But I don't have any options like that listed in my BIOS and I even updated it to f15)

HP G61-429WM laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:24 PM

>"HP G61-429WM laptop - I ended up backing up all their files and going to reinstall windows 7 completely..."<
Hi -
Are the Windows7 disks HP specific, HP backup disks, or just standard M/soft Genuine install disks ??
Some people will have problems if not using HP specific install disks, as there are certain drivers on the HP install disk -

Thank You -

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

Hi,

An alternative to the DVD disks would be the hidden recovery partition on the hard drive, assuming that it is still intact.
  • See here.
  • Arrow down to: Restore the PC to its original condition using the f11 key if Windows 7 is not accessible.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 SSXVegeta

SSXVegeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

Thank you for the replies -

I have a set of 3 HP backup disks that were made from the laptop
and I have a standard install one.

I doubt the partition for the restore is still intact but I will double check.

#5 SSXVegeta

SSXVegeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

Ya that wasn't intact and I fixed the DVD driver issue, so now Im back to the freezing at 'finishing installation'.

Im not sure if its COMPLETELY freezing or not, but it runs at like 100 times slower when it gets to this point.
Such as the little . . . that appear one after the other usually, takes like 15-30 minutes for each dot.

I sat with it doing that for 12 hours or more and it never seemed to advance in progress...

If I reboot it manually again at this point, I won't get the window that has the steps on it but just the fancy looking screen that says "setup is starting services"
This makes me think that its not a Driver like it commonly is said, but a service, but when I tried to disable services that I didn't think were necessary to boot, I got another error about missing services... XD

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

Maybe you should test the hard drive.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 SSXVegeta

SSXVegeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

I ran the drive scan and the memory scan, everything says its OK -
This is very frustrating that it seemingly hangs up on the services everytime~

I guess tonight I will do my last resort and open it up to take out certain hardware...

Edited by SSXVegeta, 28 June 2012 - 06:52 PM.

#8 SSXVegeta

SSXVegeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

Well After a few more attempts I resolved the issue and was able to install -

Removed a stick of RAM (From 3 Gigs to 1 gig)

Before installation used F8 to select "Do not enforce Driver signatures"

Removed DVD right BEFORE the reboot

Used F8 to boot to safe mode.

Waited until the "Cannot finish installation in safe mode" error window

Used Shift + F10 to open a command Prompt

Typed in "Compmgmtlauncher" to open the computer managment window

Opened Device Manager

Disabled any device with a !
Disabled all possible USB device
Disabled any UNKNOWN device
Disabled SM Bus Controller
Disabled Battery device
Disabled Ethernet Controller
Disabled Network Controller
Disabled UMBus Root Bus Enumerator

Opened Services

Set DNS Client to Disabled
Set Internet Connection Sharing to Disabled
Set Media Center Extender Service to Disabled
Set Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service to Disabled
Set Routing and Remote Access to Disabled
Set TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper to Disabled

Closed Computer Management Window

Clicked OK on the error window

Waited for everything to reboot

AS SOON AS THE SETUP SCREEN COMES UP~ As fast as possible I used the Shift +F10 to open a Command Prompt and used "Explorer.exe" to initiate a windows gui.

And this worked for me...

While Im not really 100% what finally put it over the edge and working, I HIGHLY expect it was the services that I disabled because I had tried all the other stuff before, several times.

(Later when I was re-enabling devices, things started doing the slow-down freezing thing again as soon as I activated the BATTERY devices)

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

SSXVegeta, thank you for sharing your experience and workaround in your issue. I will bookmark your thread as I also have a new HP G6 series model which might in the process end up like yours if using the backup recovery discs from the laptop, just in case. :thumbsup:

Edited by jhayz, 30 June 2012 - 10:46 PM.

Tekken

#10 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

Is this their copy of windows your using or an Illegal copy???
What I did I installed Ubuntu and put some basic virus protection on it. I advise you do that after you clean the HD (DBan)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 04 July 2012 - 08:55 PM.
edited language to comply with the posting rules

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users