Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Needed files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GearDoc47

GearDoc47

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

What files are used in xp sp3 to allow combofix to run?
I have 'slimmed' my xp too far.
Is there a list of files needed ?
combofix just stops after stage 50.
I want to keep combofix working for future need..
Thanks , Greg

Edited by GearDoc47, 25 June 2012 - 08:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

Hi Greg,may I ask why you want to run it?

It is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for general public or personal use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 GearDoc47

GearDoc47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

If & when I NEED to run it, I don't want my system to be crippled, that's all.
I have trimmed my xp down to 1 gig to fit on my available hard drive.
I am only testing for the inevitable future.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,592 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

Greg, are you saying you are currently having issues running ComboFix? As far as I know it does not need anything per se to run on Windows XP SP 3.

#5 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

I want to keep combofix working for future need..
Thanks , Greg

I don't recommend keeping ComboFix locally if that is what you are planing. ComboFix is updated several times a day and using an old one can damage your computer if it has a bug or becomes corrupted over time. You should always download a new one. Also like others said it's advised you take training first before using it on your own aka joining a malware removal academy. http://uniteagainstmalware.com/schools.php

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:47 AM

GearDoc47, just so you know....ComboFix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which scan individual drives or folders on a computer. When the tool is required for system disinfection, the most current version should always be downloaded before running it and outdated versions should be deleted.

For more information please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users