Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to remove SMART HDD Data Recovery Virus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 notapcgenius

notapcgenius

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

Hello - I posted this in the malware forum, before seeing it should've gone here first. I apologize in advance for the new user mistake.

I had the data recovery virus once before and was able to remove it without any trouble. Unfortunately, I haven't been so lucky this time around with the 'smart hdd data recovery' version - 2 different security programs/operating systems have let this attack my computer and I'm getting so frustrated!

At any rate - here is the basic 'background' info I can give you - I'm on a hp laptop running vista, 64 bit. My start menu is blank, files were hidden (I unhid the desktop/folders for now, but didn't bother fixing the start menu till the virus is gone), internet capability is disabled due to this virus. I have a wireless connection and it won't let me connect at all - not even unsecured. I do have a different, working pc - so I can copy files to/from USB drives.

I tried the suggested fix for removing this virus and have not had any success. Rkill didn't show any 'stopped process'. I had to run a 78 day 'outdated' version of malwarebytes b/c of the fact I can't connect to the internet - it came back clean. Kaspersky tdss comes back clean... I still have the 'data recovery' shortcut on the desktop, it made an icon in my task tray, the program only runs and displays errors if I am online (not possible now) or if I actually 'open' the program. I still see the bogus files in the program data folder. Each time this 'fake' program runs, it creates another version in the folder...so I renamed them to keep tabs on them since the names are not easily remembered. Other than that, I haven't messed with anything else. If I try to click on any other folder it has the permissions denied, won't let me access the contents, or anything else - including system restore, etc - all are disabled by this stupid thing.

At this point I'm wondering if I can just 'delete' the program files, remove the registry files pertaining to this virus (as listed on various virus removal threads) & restore my hidden files? Another suggestion which I read about, but did not attempt - someone claims you can actually 'register' the fake program and then 'supposedly' get your computer working enough to be able to clean it up. The thought of this is a bit scary, so I'm waiting for advice first!

I have no idea where to go from here and hope someone can help me...pretty please - it would be the best birthday present I could ask for!! B)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,725 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 notapcgenius

notapcgenius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

My New Topic Link

Thanks so much for the quick response. I know I have seen you personally help/respond with this same issue multiple times on here, so you can probably do this in your sleep! I have done as directed & created a new topic with the dds log. Not sure why I haven't been able to remove this on my own this time, but I really appreciate this site & any help.

#4 notapcgenius

notapcgenius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

Still awaiting direction on how to proceed with this - don't know if the person helping is away, can't help, etc - no responses in 8 days to my other posts/topic as linked to above. At this point, I'm wondering if I should just proceed on my own and/or drop the laptop off for someone to work on instead? If anyone here at bc can let me know if the topic has been abandoned or deemed 'unfixable', it would be much appreciated. I was hoping to get the laptop fixed before I have to attend another military course - guess there's always pen and paper instead! :o

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,725 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

PM "fireman". Maybe email notification missed him.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users