Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestion for an Optional Private Donation Section for Helpers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 notPCsavvy

notPCsavvy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

I think a secret donation box for helpers who help users would be a good idea. I know some people on here may be modest and not wish to accept a donation but I think their effort at even replying with some sort of assistance should be rewarded!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

While the suggestion is noble and has merit, the administration of such a 'donation box' would be an administrative headache.

Who's account would receive and verify the funds? Who would be responsible for oversight? How would funds be disbursed. How would a classes of have's and have not's or those intended recipients inadvertently overlooked be avoided? BleepingComputer does not have the resources or expertise to become middlemen or third parties to monetary transactions between private parties.

Again, while your suggestion is quite noble, the potential for negativity with the administration and implementation of such an endeavor makes it a risk we rather not undertake.

Individuals who accept such donations already have paypal links in their signatures.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 notPCsavvy

notPCsavvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

While the suggestion is noble and has merit, the administration of such a 'donation box' would be an administrative headache.

Who's account would receive and verify the funds? Who would be responsible for oversight? How would funds be disbursed. How would a classes of have's and have not's or those intended recipients inadvertently overlooked be avoided? BleepingComputer does not have the resources or expertise to become middlemen or third parties to monetary transactions between private parties.

Again, while your suggestion is quite noble, the potential for negativity with the administration and implementation of such an endeavor makes it a risk we rather not undertake.

Individuals who accept such donations already have paypal links in their signatures.

I did not realize all the additional trouble that would come with implementing something like this. Just figured that maybe donations could help the moderators and website financially especially since this site is a volunteer basis.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

I did not realize all the additional trouble that would come with implementing something like this. Just figured that maybe donations could help the moderators and website financially especially since this site is a volunteer basis.

Hi -
On a site like this, the operations are paid for by the (often garbage) advertising that you see prior to signing in, and only a few people actually are paid employees.
They are needed to monitor and keep the site maintained 24 / 7 regardless of public holidays and other days (post on Christmas day, you generally get answered)
I would love to have half my Internet fees paid (who wouldn't) but I would still keep going to similar sites to help or find help as required.

I now have a couple of thousand posts, and do not come here looking for any payment of any type, just to offer any help I can (and an outside interest)
This is an open public forum that offers free advice to all comers, as long as they follow the rules (I get a swift kick if I overstep any rules) :wink: Hi Louis !

After I passed 5,000 posts on Malwarebytes Anti-malware forum, I did receive a small "gift pack" from them, which was very nice, but not asked for.
Not a "payment package". It just included a Thank You card, signed by all employees icluding Marcin (the boss) and all Mods and Admins and a small gift

As I generally post on about 5 forums, and have a passing interest in 3 more, I do see that some, like Norton, do have Employee beside the name, but at times a company rep is required to reply to complicated "product questions" that are not understood by most people, but open discussion is welcomed there also.

Regards -
Edited for Spelling errors -

Edited by noknojon, 26 June 2012 - 07:41 PM.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Just for clarification. No one on staff is paid here at Bleeping Computer. Malware Helpers are allowed to accept donations if they choose to via links in their signatures.

The site is funded by advertising, yes. But ads are NOT displayed to registered members.

The site is free to use by anyone. All we ask is you follow the forum rules.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users