Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smart Firewall vs Regular Firewall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

Hi Web, Computer geek friends,

Had Norton anti virus, and switched to Norton internet security ,is a smart firewall better?, I switched on the firewall and couldn't access internet, probably cause I had both firewalls on.Norton Internet Security seems overall much better.
Jim
PS, have a trial version of Norton internet security

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

Hi Jim,

You should only ever run 1 software Firewall.

[Courtesy of Quietman7]

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one software firewall on a single computer is not advisable. Why? Using two firewalls could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. Further, running multiple software firewalls can cause conflicts that are hard to identify and troubleshoot. Only one of the firewalls can receive the packets over the network and process them. Sometimes you may even have a conflict that causes neither firewall to protect your connection. However, you can use a hardware firewall (a router) and a software firewall (i.e. Kerio, ZoneAlarm, Comodo, etc) in conjunction.

The Differences and Features of Hardware & Software Firewalls

Choosing a Firewall: Hardware v. Software

Norton's Smart Firewall is more feature rich than Windows Firewall, and is designed to work in concert with the other components of the suite.
Unlike some 3rd-party Firewalls which can often bombard users with confusing prompts, Norton's Firewall is configured to require no, or minimal user interaction. It achieves this by consulting a large database of known good and bad programs, and the antivirus engine, if necessary, in order to automatically create Internet and Network permissions.

I would leave Norton's Firewall enabled, and Windows Firewall disabled.

Edited by RedDawn, 25 June 2012 - 09:27 PM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:22 AM

Hi -
Also, please note the settings area in Nortons combined Antivirus and Firewall program.
There is one setting that says "Block All Internet Access" (or words to that effect), and I have noted this on Norton Gold mainly.
This setting is only used if you are Off-line, but still have a router / modem open, and wish to block all incoming Internet scanners.

Regards -

#4 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

To NoKno,

On Norton Internet Security, it has a smart firewall and a full firewall, when I turned this on, I could not hook to the internet. So, I put it back on Smart and left it. I am a little concerned, since I switched to Norton Internet Security, I have had more cookies picked up on scans than when on Norton anti Virus, but I have had less problems though.
Thanks, I have a week to decide which security plan to choose, I have a super fast internet connection, so I think that I need something good.

Thanks Red Dawn and Nokno,

JIm

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

Just in case you decide to remove all Norton / Symantic, these directions are from the Norton site -

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2003 and later products, Norton 360, and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer. Before you continue, make sure that you have the installation CDs or downloaded installation files for any Norton products that you want to reinstall. If you have pcAnywhere or WinFAX, uninstall it using Add or Remove Programs before running the Norton Removal Tool. Also, if you use ACT! or WinFAX, back up those databases and uninstall those products.
1.Download the Norton Removal Tool and save the file to the Windows desktop.
DOWNLOAD
2.On the Windows desktop, double-click the Norton Removal Tool icon.
3.Follow the on-screen instructions.
4.Restart the computer.

NOTE: Your computer may be restarted more than once.

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users