Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Poor video playback and slow boot

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 lti

lti

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

My Toshiba Satellite L750 laptop has been having trouble playing Flash video, and Windows takes an extremely long time to boot. Flash videos appear to drop every other frame at best, and the sound in every Flash element is extremely loud and distorted. When Windows boots, it appears to finish booting in a reasonable amount of time, but the antivirus software and some minor background processes do not load along with Windows. They do not load until two minutes after Windows appeared to finish booting. During this two-minute period, there is no CPU or hard drive activity. These two problems have occurred since Toshiba reinstalled Windows during their many attempts to repair this computer. This is the same computer that I started this topic about. What did they do to this computer?

Edited by rotor123, 25 June 2012 - 01:00 PM.
OOps

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

When you say Toshiba's many attempts to repair this computer, That doesn't sound like Toshiba to be honest. Was it Toshiba own repair depot or was it a local authorized service provider?

If it was shipped to them many times as you say, I would start pressing them that you would like it replaced. Maybe they have a Lemon program you can use.

I know people that have shipped the laptop to Toshiba for warranty and they have never complained so I am surprised.

I have an older Toshiba and they work better than that.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

It was repaired three times. Two of those were performed by Toshiba's own repair depot. For the third repair, Toshiba had it sent to one of their authorized repair centers. Windows was reinstalled by Toshiba's repair depot. I have an older Toshiba laptop with the same booting issue.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

well in that case since they both do it could it be some software you installed on both laptops?
When you got it back with the fresh windows did it boot better?

I can't compare mine directly to yours since I have upgraded everything to SSD drives for their speed.

is it possible that this is the antivirus you are using?
What Antivirus is it?
I can think of one brand of antivirus that I've seen cause slowdowns.
One other thought, Have you benchmarked the hard drive to be sure it isn't the problem.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 25 June 2012 - 02:53 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

It booted normally and video playback performance was decent before they reinstalled Windows. I am using Norton Internet Security, which is the same antivirus software that I have always used on this computer. The older computer was made in 2002 and is running its factory install of Windows XP with no antivirus software (it is not connected to the Internet).

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

It booted normally and video playback performance was decent

I can compare your results of MiniToolBox, against mine. Also a Toshiba Satellite laptop (Win7) with 4G RAM but with M.S.E. A/virus -
My Toshiba laptop results =
Pinging google.com [74.125.237.136] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 74.125.237.136: bytes=32 time=41ms - Reasonable at best -
My Yahoo ping was - Average = 321ms - Yahoo is always slower, but mine is almost half yours -

Your Toshiba laptop results
=
Pinging google.com [74.125.225.110] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 74.125.225.110: bytes=32 time=87ms - Much slower than most -
And very slow reply Here -
Pinging yahoo.com [98.139.183.24] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 98.139.183.24: bytes=32 time=562ms

Try Speed Test.net and please post your results back here.
Your Mini Tool Box test from the last time showed a very slow connection, and I am wondering if it has changed.
EDITED to correct link -

Edited by noknojon, 25 June 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#7 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

Try Speed Test.net and please post your results back here.

Ping: 45ms
Download speed: 5.91Mbps
Upload speed: 0.75Mbps

I also received much lower ping times from Google and Yahoo today (70ms for Google and 126ms for Yahoo).

The Internet connection is not the problem. The videos don't have to stop and buffer, but they drop frames like my computer is too slow to play them. Videos play back perfectly on the other two computers connected to the same network.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

.......continued ..........
Although Symantec (Norton) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume system resources and often results in complaints of higher CPU usage once it starts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. I have read from other users that Symantec has improved the newer versions while others say differently. However, Symantec products can be difficult to remove and remnants are often left behind which require the use of a special removal tool, otherwise you may encounter problems installing a replacement anti-virus. To be fair, other vendors are also using removal tools for the same reason. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative.

Norton Internet Security is a suite which means it includes additional Features, in addition to anti-virus protection.
Some of those extra features will also consume resources and affect performance.

#9 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

One of the other computers on the network is also running Norton Internet Security. It starts along with Windows on that computer and there are no performance issues.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

Ping: 45ms
Download speed: 5.91Mbps

These are generally considered very slow connection rates. Mine = 14Mbps D/load average, and is not considered "fast" - Over 25Mbps is fast -
Please note these are quite often direct from your ISP if they host SpeedTest (most do) -
Once installed you should have no problems playing them, but it is only getting them downloaded first that I was looking at -
Make sure Adobe Flash Player is fully updated (did mine yesterday) and check your Java version, it should currently be Version 7 Update 5.

>>"The videos don't have to stop and buffer, but they drop frames like my computer is too slow to play them."<<
Stop / Buffer is not always rated, depending only on your download size mainly.

Read http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.html to disable your version of Norton, and test a video while it is off -
This will not Remove Norton, only disable it for a certain time frame, then you reboot and re-enable it. Worth a try ??

Also read This Adobe Page to check your Flash and other settings -

EDITED to reset link -

Edited by noknojon, 25 June 2012 - 08:10 PM.

#11 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:17 PM

The latest version of Flash is installed. Disabling hardware acceleration has no effect on playback performance or CPU usage. The CPU usage is about 10% when playing a video. I don't think that Norton is affecting video playback. Another computer on the same network is an old Pentium 4 system with hardware acceleration disabled and the same version of Norton, and Flash video plays more smoothly on it than this computer.

#12 ElFasso

ElFasso

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

The latest version of Flash is installed. Disabling hardware acceleration has no effect on playback performance or CPU usage. The CPU usage is about 10% when playing a video. I don't think that Norton is affecting video playback. Another computer on the same network is an old Pentium 4 system with hardware acceleration disabled and the same version of Norton, and Flash video plays more smoothly on it than this computer.

Which program do you use to play the video or do you play it into the browser?

#13 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

These videos are being played in the browser.

The CPU usage during video playback was higher before Windows was reinstalled.

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

Have you tried this? http://www.pixelmetrics.com/Tips/VidBlank/GlobalAcceleration.php

Tekken

#15 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Those instructions don't work for me. The Change Settings button is grayed out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users