Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Activating partition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kemperhills

kemperhills

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

Here is my problem. I have a computer that got a virus and I had to replace the HD. The computer came with an 80 GB HD in SATA 0. I had installed a 500 GB HD on SATA 1 to increase my memory.

The 80 GB drive was the boot drive. When the virus got past my AV I had to replace the HD. I had an IDE 120 GB HD from a computer that was no longer working and since my present computer supports both IDE and SATA I installed the 120 GB drive as the boot drive until I could get another SATA drive.

I got another SATA drive, cloned the IDE drive with DriveImage XML, and tried to activiate the partition of the new SATA drive to use it as the boot drive.

But when I opened Disk Management and right clicked on the new SATA drive the "Mark partition as active" option was greyed out and I cannot find a way to activiate the partition on the new SATA drive to use it as the boot[system]drive.

If remove the 120 GB IDE drive the computer won't boot. With the 120 GB IDE drive in the computer I can't activate the partition on the new SATA drive.

Can anyone tell me how to activate the partition on the new SATA drive so I can use it as the boot[system]drive for the computer.

The computer is running XP Pro, SP3.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

Just a fdew comments...

a. You cannot take a hard drive from System A...install it in System B...and expect it to work properly. The settings and drivers are different, the criteria used by PA for activation of the O/S are different (since they key on the installed components). The one possible exception would be if the systems were identical in hardware components, license, and operating system installed...and, even then, it would not be guaranteed to perform properly, IMO. So, I'm somewhat mystified that you assert that you have done so with no obvious problem booting the transplanted drive.

b. My experience is that for a partition to be set to active status...it must be done so during O/S installtion or the use of cloning software. I've not tried it at any other time. If one cannot set the partition active during cloning...I have no answer/conjecture about that other than to say there is a problem with either the hard drive or the cloning software. Setting a partition as active...does not overcome the lack of proper boot files...it only marks that partition as being capable of use to install/run a Windows O/S.

c. A system can reflect different drives installed, each with an active partition. This system has such, with XP on one partition on Drive 1 and Win 7 on one partition on Drive 2. Active partition, in this instance, means bootable.

d. I know nothing about using DriveImage XML, but I suggest that you read up on how it works or does not work.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 June 2012 - 10:02 AM.

#3 kemperhills

kemperhills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

Just a fdew comments...

a. You cannot take a hard drive from System A...install it in System B...and expect it to work properly. The settings and drivers are different, the criteria used by PA for activation of the O/S are different (since they key on the installed components). The one possible exception would be if the systems were identical in hardware components, license, and operating system installed...and, even then, it would not be guaranteed to perform properly, IMO. So, I'm somewhat mystified that you assert that you have done so with no obvious problem booting the transplanted drive.

b. My experience is that for a partition to be set to active status...it must be done so during O/S installtion or the use of cloning software. I've not tried it at any other time. If one cannot set the partition active during cloning...I have no answer/conjecture about that other than to say there is a problem with either the hard drive or the cloning software. Setting a partition as active...does not overcome the lack of proper boot files...it only marks that partition as being capable of use to install/run a Windows O/S.

c. A system can reflect different drives installed, each with an active partition. This system has such, with XP on one partition on Drive 1 and Win 7 on one partition on Drive 2. Active partition, in this instance, means bootable.

d. I know nothing about using DriveImage XML, but I suggest that you read up on how it works or does not work.

Louis

< must be done so during O/S installtion or the use of cloning software>

the DirveIimage XML that I used is a cloning program. And I followed the step by step instructions that came with the program. But when I arrived at the step when you entered Disk Management and right clicked on the partition that you wanted to activate, the "mark as active" was greyed out and I could not activate the partition.

Now I am trying to find out why.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

From http://www.runtime.org/driveimage_faq.htm#support:

"Q. What are my support options?

A. We do not provide support for the free Private Edition of DriveImage XML You should browse our documentation for a solution or search the Internet for any problems you might have."

Appears to me that there is not great effort put into supporting the free edition of DriveImage XML, which (IMO) makes it a "use at your own risk" product.

My suggestion would be to install Macrium Reflect and then try your cloning exercise to SATA drive. I shy away from software without seemingly adequate support/instructional webpages.

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download - http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

As I previously said...you should expect problems when you try to move a hard drive from System 1 to System 2.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users