Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Idle Computer eats up Free Space on Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Couzycouz

Couzycouz

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:55 AM

I previously asked for help on this same computer and everything was fixed. The previous help topic is here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic454206.html/page__p__2704571__fromsearch__1#entry2704571

Mod Edit: Above topic was closed by unknown, OP had not responded since 25 May. No known unresolved malware issues revealed in topic above - Hamluis.

Now the computer has run out of hard drive space. Single drive, no partitions. I disabled Hibernation which cleared about 1.2 GB and thought I would search for possible deletions later. The next days it's out of space again and it has not been used although it was left running. I reduced the page file size to free up some space to update some utilities. I ran rkill and it stopped userinit and later it stopped pifsvc which is a symantec file. I ran combofix (yes even though I was directed to) and it removed a ton of set####.tmp files from the windows/system32 directory. Now I'm up to 6GB free. I went through old emails and deleted old files and compacted the mail folder. Now up to 8.62GB free. I restarted and left it. Within two hours I've lost a GB although I haven't used it. I do some searches and can't find anything. Left it running all afternoon and night and it's down to 3.5GB free space.

I don't know where else to look.

Mod Edit: Removed subsequent posts, moved to XP from MRL, no malware issue apparent - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 30 June 2012 - 05:06 PM.
Moved from Malware Removal Logs to XP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

Please follow the directions at Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

#3 Couzycouz

Couzycouz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/S65EiRakDdrwS25thFjlLls

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

You have an 80GB hard drive, your system has additional hard drive. Drive is SATA and you have 3 other SATA possible connections.

Partition 1: Letter: C:File System Size: 70GB Used Space: 65GB (94%) Free Space: 4.54GB (6%)

The simple solution is to buy/install another hard drive...and then move all movies, songs, and graphics files to that drive.

If don't want to or can't do that...you need to move these files to moveable storage media (CD/DVD) and free up hard drive space.

That would take care of all your free apace problems, which tend to result in Windows sometimes behaving erratically.

Any one of the following would do: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=8&sel=Price%3BPrice3,Detail%3B17_35_21707_41237,Detail%3B17_791_47515_47515 .

To purchase any drive that's smaller would be foolish...since you would pay about %50 for a 160GB drive and you would be hard pressed (and a tad crazy) to buy any drive that's has less capacity in today's market.

An external drive would be an option also.

Installing a new, additional hard drive is a very simple process.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 June 2012 - 07:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users