Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battery meter stuck on AC power icon

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 destry.stevens

destry.stevens

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:47 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 running Windows XP Media Center edition.

I have just been through a virus removal and the system is running fantastically except for this one problem.

The Power Management Icon in the system tray always says "On AC Power" It doesn't matter if the battery is fully charged or almost dead, plugged in and charging or unplugged and shutting down due to loss of power.

I have changed batteries and chargers to no avail.

I read on one forum that the power management was part of Dell Quickset so I downloaded and updated Quickset from the Dell website. no change

Without the battery meter I can't tell when by machine is about to die so I will potential lose data or unsaved work.

I have already done every adjustment possible in the Power Manager settings, including turning the icon off and back on.

Any ideas would be great!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:20 AM

Hi -
I've seen dozens of Google references to this icon misbehaving in laptops and this is the only fix that has worked.
If the driver files themselves are missing, There's a neat way of getting them back -
See the post #5 from DogHair HERE -

#3 destry.stevens

destry.stevens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

I tried that fix in any number of different ways, restarting before and after, uninstalling the battery and charger from device manager prior to using the bat file. Did a bunch more research on the old G (Google), non of it fixed the problem.

I then borrowed a brand new battery from a friend with the same laptop.

Guess what? The icon works perfectly. The battery is simply beyond its usefulness..

Thanks for the quick response and I hope others that have this same problem with that icon try a new battery before they spend too much time trying to update or re-install drivers.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

I then borrowed a brand new battery from a friend with the same laptop.

Thank you for posting your solution back here, many do not and we wonder if it was ever solved.
I will now remember this for the future if the question is re-asked -

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users