Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP G61 Laptop Extremely Slow, Can't Get Into Windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jephph1

jephph1

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

I've got an HP G61-429wm Laptop here. It's running really slowly, and won't boot into Windows, or even a Windows disc. On bootup, it will show the underscore for ~15 seconds, then it will start to load Windows (I believe it's Windows Vista). Once it's done with the loading screen, the screen will go black, for hours.
The computer was running very hot, in the upper right section especially. I opened it up, and cleaned out the fan, and it's running cooler now, but it still runs really slow and won't boot into Windows.
When I try to boot to a Windows disc (I've tried Vista 32 and 64, as well as Windows 7), it will get to the load screen, go black for a few minutes, then show the default background, with a cursor, and I can move the cursor around, but there is nothing to click, and no combination of buttons does anything either (Ctrl-Alt-Delete, Windows+R, Esc, Enter, etc) Right click also does nothing.
Other things I've tried:
UBCD- got in and ran clamscan (I could only scan the boot sector of the main drive, the partition wouldn't show up in a normal scan.
Also tried AVG Recovery CD- came up clean (not sure if it actually scanned the Windows partition though)
Tried removing memory sticks one at a time (there are two total, I tried many combinations)
I tried to get into UBCD4Win, but it would pop up a Blue Screen every time (0x7B), I looked that up, and it seems fairly common, but none of the fixes seemed to work for me.
Also, went into BIOS and set everything to default.
Can't get into Safe Mode or Last Known Good (same result, black screen, forever)
None of these things had any effect.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 24 June 2012 - 05:07 PM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

My utter guess...would be a hardware problem, so I will move this to Internal Hardware.

Louis

#3 jephph1

jephph1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

So... I ran SeaTools on the drive. The scan found errors and was able to fix some of them but not all. After that, when trying to boot up the computer normally, it automatically ran chkdsk, and fix more errors, and after another reboot, it's now loading into Windows. Issue resolved. Thank you.

Edited by jephph1, 24 June 2012 - 10:26 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

:thumbsup: , nice work by you...thanks for the feedback.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

I suggest running the drive diagnostics weekly for a few weeks just to be sure that the drive is not getting worse.
When Seatools can not fix all the errors that can be a bad sign which is why I made my suggestion.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 25 June 2012 - 12:21 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users