Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not So Funny Spy Falcon Episode

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dtkrumy

dtkrumy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:45 PM

I became infected with spy falcon a couple of days ago. Found this forum and the thread about removing it. I followed the instructions pretty well I thought and everything seemed okay. At least the nuisance screen and blinking warning icon were gone. Well, I noticed in the start menu it looked as though I had a couple of new options, one was "internet security.net" or something like that. The other was something like "malware remover" I really can't remember exactly.

Anyway I right clicked on one of them to see a properties or remove and immediately spy falcon opened again. The warning icon was back as well. I got my instructions out and proceeded to go through them again. The first thing I noticed that when booted in safe mode the file folder wasn't in programs as it was before. In fact I couldn't find it all. I also couldn't find dxmpp.dll anywhere. I searched hidden folders, system folders, etc, etc. I rebooted to command prompt and couldn't find it that way either.

Adaware would tell me it had removed the infection but as soon as I rebooted it was back. I did that at least a dozen times over the past couple of days. I tried the trend micro, spybot, avast scan, and sbc yahoo anti spy all with the same results. The A.S. programs would identify and remove spy falcon but it always came back.

My Son In Law told me to search for a DLL that had been modified in the last couple of days, I found four, 3 of them I was pretty sure what they were. One I didn't recognize is "ginuerep.dll" I searched a couple of dll libraries and couldn't find it listed so I renamed it, moved it and rebooted. As of right now, I have no sign of spy falcon. I hope it's for good this time. Has this ever happened to anyone before? Is it gone, or am I on borrowed time again?

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 knoxy

knoxy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:47 PM

hi, i came across this site just about the same way as u did, this spy falcon thing is really doing my head in, iv been over all the steps to get rid it it and its still ther, well kind of, in sfae mode i did all the steps, re-booted and it looks as it the spy falcon had gone (no flashing toolbar thing), then when i open up the internet it come back, aaaaarrrgh, it would help if i was any good with computers but im just not lol, ill keep tryin tho :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users