Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up my own sever box Help? needed please

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bossramsay15

Bossramsay15

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Hey I have been thinking a while about doing this i need serious reply s and help.The only reason I haven't got and setup a sever box it because of electricity right?well we might be getting solar in the weeks to come. I have a close family member that offered me a sever box to start of with its decent, my main worrie would be is drop outs its has 2 power supply so that all good. The cost of it isent cheap even though its of a family member they still cant just give it away. I want to earn extra money.so i think the sever box may be the go? could i have some information about runing your own sever box should I be advertised and get people to run of my sever im going to need to cover the cost. I have some time of how can I start first I need to learn about severs. Thankyou.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

What do you plan on doing with this server box?

Also what are the specs, and can you provide a model number?

#3 Bossramsay15

Bossramsay15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

Well what i plan on doing is Minecraft severs i plan i running my own on it, and also have a couple people to run of my sever. Dam i knew model its not a latest and greatest its getting outdated but im not going out and rushing buying a brand newy. This isent much all i can say i know about it is A Dell 4gm ram, that about it im sorry

#4 Bossramsay15

Bossramsay15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

Hang on i think i found it on ebay, I think this is definitely it.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dell-Precision-490-2-x-Dual-Core-Xeon-3-73MHZ-4Gig-Ram-/310407822461?pt=AU_Servers&hash=item4845bf7c7d#ht_1418wt_1281

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

That server is way more then what is required for Minecraft. What kind of bandwidth will you have for this, and to run a server you may need a Business ISP Account.

#6 Bossramsay15

Bossramsay15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

Well thats good then :D wow ok this is what i need to learn dont want to sound to nooby? though yes i have heard of bandwidth and i do know what it roughly is could you explain though? Also Business ISP is that to legally run the sever because you can make money ect (business).

#7 Bossramsay15

Bossramsay15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

Bump. Sorry for sounding rude i just really want to learn about this.

Edited by Bossramsay15, 24 June 2012 - 09:35 AM.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

The business account will allow you to control the ports that are open for use via your ISP Provided router. Some ISP's do not allow for servers to be ran on residential accounts especially if they are for profit. Also what did you mean by your private message to me? Server info sheet?

#9 Bossramsay15

Bossramsay15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

Ohk the business account seems serouis does that cost monthly? haha yer i though u went offline and wouldnt be back on. Like i ment like a care sheet but a server sheet full of info :D like i want to get so serouis about this but im going to need alot of help. Like i dont even know how the servers run do u just turn it on and use setting and commands to do stuff < thats how much i have to learn.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

This should be all that you need for your server:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutorials/Setting_up_a_server

#11 Bossramsay15

Bossramsay15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

sweat going to have a read :D thankyou

#12 Bossramsay15

Bossramsay15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:05 AM

i have read only a quarter. And up to Port forwarding sounds very risky if i get this wrong can 'hackers' can through the router then into details.

Basiclly what i understand it that you run software you open ports to run the sever and alot of commands.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

New Member Orientation this is a good read for all new members.

If you need further assistance with any operating system that you pick to run on your server:

Good read for before posting a problem or question.

If you have a quick question that can be answered quickley this is our IRC Chatroom.

Windows Server Forum for Windows Server Environments.

Windows 7 Help for Windows 7 help if you decide to use Windows 7.

Linux and Unix Forum where you will receive help with Linux/Unix type questions.

How do I open up ports, for an application?

Edited by cryptodan, 24 June 2012 - 10:10 AM.

#14 Bossramsay15

Bossramsay15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

sorry i didnt really understand that it just lead me to sections of the forum which is was probley ment to

New Member Orientation this is a good read for all new members.

If you need further assistance with any operating system that you pick to run on your server:

Good read for before posting a problem or question.

If you have a quick question that can be answered quickley this is our IRC Chatroom.

Windows Server Forum for Windows Server Environments.

Windows 7 Help for Windows 7 help if you decide to use Windows 7.

Linux and Unix Forum where you will receive help with Linux/Unix type questions.

How do I open up ports, for an application?

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

That is for posting questions about the use of the various operating systems if you have a question on say installing Linux then the Linux section of BC will be your best bet.

All the others are for quick reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users