Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Router won't set date

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LadyMorella

LadyMorella

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:33 AM

I was setting up an old router and noticed the date/time was bogus. The year was set to 2002. I tried manually setting the time since auto wasn't working which also didn't work. So I updated the firmware hoping that might help. After upgrading I noticed that somehow I missed that the latest year I could manually set is 2011. The router was bought in probably 2004, so it's fairly old.

Is this an issue? It isn't having any problems, but I took a networking class and I remember the teacher saying something about the internet requiring hosts to have the correct time. I don't know how all that works together, cause I know that I've had computers with the wrong time surf the web. He said that you could have the wrong time and could do some things, but might be cut off by secure protocols or something like that. He mentioned it in passing, it was off subject at the time.

I'm kind of the mindset that you don't buy replacement for things that still work. Unless warranted of course. So is the wrong date an issue? Obviously it's confusing to see a ip lease expire in 2002, but there are ways around that like setting the date back 10 years exactly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:14 PM

The Time and Date on the route could cause connection issues with devices and The routers DHCP pool information. What model router is it?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 LadyMorella

LadyMorella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

It's a trendnet tew 432brp.

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:19 AM

The only real problem that this could cause is DHCP issues, as Sneakycyber stated above. But honestly, if this is a home network I doubt you're going to run into a problem. Only in medium and larger networks would this become a major issue.

Having said that, I searched Google for date issues on your router and could not find anything. Since it's from 2004, they (Trendnet) probably have not updated the firmware in years. So if this does become a issue, it'd probably be best to just buy a new router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users