Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows live messenger won't download/install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 winchester_101

winchester_101

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

Hello,

I am running Win XP SP3 and I'm trying to download/install Windows live messenger. When I click on the download link on Microsofts website and then click the run button, I get the following error message and the download terminates.

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\TT60AUFH\wlsetup-web[1].exe is not a valid Win32 application

When I click the ok button on the error message, the download terminates.

I've tried installing from both IE and Firefox with the same result.

I'd really like to have this app on this computer, as I use it on my other computers, phones and devices. Any ideas?

If I need to post additional information, please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help.

W101

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

THe latest version of Windows Live Messenger will not work on Windows XP: http://www.filehippo.com/download_msn_messenger/tech/7560/ you will need that version.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

Alternatively you can use Windows Live for XP from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/messenger/home

Look for the blue box on the upper right.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 winchester_101

winchester_101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:03 AM

Ok, I downloaded that version (from filehippo) and after it installed (it got further than I had gotten before), it gave the following message.

Messenger couldn't be installed because we had trouble installing this required file. Microsoft visual studio runtime. One of the installation files appears to be corrupt. hr:0x800b0004

Any way I can fix that?

Thanks

W101

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

For the above error:

Please visit this site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555334

#6 winchester_101

winchester_101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

Thanks cryptodan,

I'm gonna be working outside around the house this afternoon, but I'll give that a shot this evening when i have some down time.

W101

#7 winchester_101

winchester_101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

cryptodan,

Thank you very much! That did the trick.

FWIW, if anyone else runs into this issue, I only had to go as far as step 3 in the procedure outlined in the link provided by cryptodan.

All is well now.

Thanks eeryone for the input and the help.

W101

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users