Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer restarts when idle and when uninstalling programs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jpparker55

jpparker55

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

About a month ago I noticed my computer has started to restart itself when left idle for longer than ~20 minutes. I will be using the computer all evening with no problems, then leave it on and go to bed, after a little while it suddenly restarts. I also noticed when I left it on and went out for a while I'd come back and it would have restarted (possibly several times)so it isn't related to any particular time of day. It seems completely stable otherwise, no random restarts whatsoever EXCEPT: I tried to remove ad-aware as I read this has caused some issues - as soon as it starts uninstalling the computer restarts. I tried this with another program and got the same problem. Installing programs works fine however.

It doesn't seem to restart if I leave it idle while watching a movie but I can't be 100% as I will probably have touched the mouse a few times during the movie. It did restart when I left it on over night with some audio files playing on repeat.

I'm completely stumped so any help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 jpparker55

jpparker55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

==================================================
Dump File : 072710-30388-01.dmp
Crash Time : 27/07/2010 6:13:26 p.m.
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x00000116
Parameter 1 : fffffa80`06d84110
Parameter 2 : fffff880`062bac80
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000002
Caused By Driver : dxgkrnl.sys
Caused By Address : dxgkrnl.sys+5ccbc
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+71f00
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\072710-30388-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600
Dump File Size : 560,672

It doesn't blue screen before it crashes, just turns off then on again. The scan only found that one blue screen from 2010, not sure if I have something disabled? Computer has certainly crashed more than once since 2010. Crashed it like 3 times this morning trying to uninstall adaware.

#4 jpparker55

jpparker55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

Under event viewer the crashes have this message "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

#5 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:07 PM

it could be cpu temperature going so high it forces shutdown. this little program has logging for cpu temp and might help you see if this is what is causing the reboots
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089/Real_Temp_3.70.html

hth!

TFN

#6 jpparker55

jpparker55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

it could be cpu temperature going so high it forces shutdown. this little program has logging for cpu temp and might help you see if this is what is causing the reboots
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089/Real_Temp_3.70.html

hth!

TFN

Hey, will give that a try, but it seems counter intuitive since the computer is absolutely fine playing games (battlefield 3, Diablo 3 etc) and only restarts when I'm not using it (or apparently when I try to uninstall anything).

edit - I actually have speedfan installed. Temps are generally quite low when I'm not gaming. Except 'Aux'

Attached Files

Edited by jpparker55, 23 June 2012 - 11:37 PM.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:23 AM

It doesn't blue screen before it crashes, just turns off then on again. The scan only found that one blue screen from 2010, not sure if I have something disabled? Computer has certainly crashed more than once since 2010. Crashed it like 3 times this morning trying to uninstall adaware.

Yes, so I see. Just wanted to make sure.

It does seem to be a hardware issue - could be anything from temps to ram to a faulty PS to some other piece of hw - VERY difficult to diagnose. Let's try to be certain it IS hw vs sw. Can you please boot to safe mode and leave it there and see if it reboots from there? If it does, then it's almost certainly hw.

#8 jpparker55

jpparker55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

Yes, so I see. Just wanted to make sure.

It does seem to be a hardware issue - could be anything from temps to ram to a faulty PS to some other piece of hw - VERY difficult to diagnose. Let's try to be certain it IS hw vs sw. Can you please boot to safe mode and leave it there and see if it reboots from there? If it does, then it's almost certainly hw.

Ok so this morning I booted it in safe mode and left it for a couple hours with no restarts. It's hard to say for certain that it wouldn't have restarted, but usually it'l restart within 30 minutes of no input/usage. I couldn't test the uninstall crash because it doesn't have that functionality in safe mode.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:02 AM

Okay, well if it doesn't happen in safe mode it may (MAY) not not be hardware.... this will be a time consuming process but now we have to see if something starting with the system is causing the problem.

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

Edited by Allan, 08 July 2012 - 05:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users