Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have a Monitor that will not power up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nephilim333

Nephilim333

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

hello
I have a monitor that i got from a friend, it is nothing special ( model: proview, size 22 inch ).
I am not sure what is wrong with it all i know is it will not turn on/power up no light or any indication of power, i have opened it up and checked for any obviously blown capacitors but could not see any to my knowledge.

I am not a computer technician, but i believe with some guidance i can fix it. I once knew a guy who fixed monitors all the time and he told me the common problem he found was blow capacitors. He identified a blown capacitor by a lump and the end of what should be a flat round surface of the cylinder capacitors.

What else should i be looking for and how can i troubleshoot this problem.

I have a soldering kit on its way and a lot of faulty gear that i can harvest parts from. It would be really cool if i could get it working plus i need another monitor.

Thanks for any help in advance

Nephilim333

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

HI
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/ has a lot of useful tips.
This subforum Troubleshooting Computer Displays may be helpful
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Peleida

Peleida

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hello,
The best test of electrolitic capacitor is replacing them by new ones with the same capacitance (microfarads) and the working voltage. To begin with test the fuse. If it is blown the bridge rectifyier may be faulty. If all so far are OK you should test the MOSFET transistor e the Schotty rectifier that stands before the capacitors referred above. This component is a dual diode and looks like a transistor and is screwed on a heat sink; the middlie pin is the commum catod and the other two are anods. Also look for burnt resistors.
Peleida.

Edited by Peleida, 21 July 2012 - 10:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users