Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioning "around" bad sectors

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow Wizard

Shadow Wizard

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

Ok, so I have this hard drive, and after scanning it with HDDregenerator it indicates that in about the first 50 GB there are several bad sectors, but the rest of the drive is fine. Is there any reason I should not partition around these bad sectors? e.g. creating a partition that spans from the 70 GB mark to then end of the drive. I would loose 70 GB, but would still have the rest to use.
please when responding provide details. Responses such as "Don't do it." or "It would be bad" are not responses I am looking for. If I cannot use the good space on the drive, I want to know why.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

I suppose creating custom partitions around the bad sectors would work for awhile-but what I would be concerned about is the drive is already starting to go bad-and it will just continue to deteriorate over time, which increases the chances of you losing the data on the good partitions if the rest of the drive were to go bad. If it were me, I would just purchase a brand new drive and use this one for target practice, but technically, you could probably use it just partitioning out the bad parts-just make sure you back up everything you care about to another source.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Shadow Wizard

Shadow Wizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

I suppose creating custom partitions around the bad sectors would work for awhile-but what I would be concerned about is the drive is already starting to go bad-and it will just continue to deteriorate over time, which increases the chances of you losing the data on the good partitions if the rest of the drive were to go bad. If it were me, I would just purchase a brand new drive and use this one for target practice, but technically, you could probably use it just partitioning out the bad parts-just make sure you back up everything you care about to another source.

Thank you very much. What you say does make sense I do suppose, depending on how the drive was damaged. It was just natural wear over time, you are likely right. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

As the_patriot11 says, I agree. One other thing part of the boot process will still be happening at the start of the drive as that is where the OS looks for it to be located.

Be Aware of this also, if track zero is bad......

http://www.boot-us.com/gloss04.htm

Master Boot Record (MBR) / track 0

Master Boot Record (MBR):
The Master Boot Record (MBR) on x86-computers is the first sector of the hard disk. The MBR occupies exactly one sector (512 bytes). After starting the computer the BIOS automatically loads the first sector of the boot drive

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 23 June 2012 - 02:02 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,892 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

FWIW: When a hard drive is formatted...it automatically takes notice of and works around bad sectors.

I'm curious as to how anyone could assert 50GB of bad sectors, if I understand what you are saying.

Bad Sectors On Hard Drives - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1583&page=3

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users