Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Function Comes and Goes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

Hi, my wireless network capability keeps coming and going (it has been more off than on in recent hours). Specifically the wifi light on the keyboard appears and disappears as does the icon on my desktop in the right corner, the wireless connection icon also appears and disappears when I launch the from network connections menu. Help!

Thank you.

P.S. I have been having other issues that are detailed in this topic, I seem to be in a loop where when I solve one problem I end up creating another.

Edited by Anne_ATL, 23 June 2012 - 11:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

You will need to right click and run these tools as admin.

Please download FarbarServiceScanner and run it on the computer with the issue.

Make sure the following options are checked:
Internet Services
Windows Firewall
System Restore
Security Center/Action Center
Windows Update

Press "Scan".
It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.

#3 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:11 PM

^Done, thank you.

FarbarServiceScanner

Spoiler

MINITOOLBOX Report

Spoiler

Updated to add Minitoolbox Report

Edited by Anne_ATL, 23 June 2012 - 08:16 PM.

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

Is There any reason that your firewall windows security center and windows updates are turned off?

Uninstall the programs below.

Comcast Desktop Software (v1.2.0.9) (Version: 23)
Anti-Spyware (Version: 5.6.608)

Download the internet repair tool and run check everything and hit go let it finish and reboot.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Other-Internet-Related/Complete-Internet-Repair.shtml

Uninstall your wireless driver from device manager and reboot.

#5 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

Comcast is my ISP will uninstalling Comcast Desktop Software affect me being able to get online?

My firewall was turned off because when I was troubleshooting, it is back on now.

Windows Update is turned active.

Can you give me more specific steps to uninstall the wireless driver. Also I went into the device manager earlier and did not see anything that jumped out to me as being wireless related, I am not saying that it is not there but the title was not obvious to me.

The path I took was Control Panel ---> System ---> Hardware Tab ---> Device Manager button.

ETA:
As I stated I am able to get wireless access intermittently and am able to get on now (I am in safe mode as Administrator) and am seeing "Dell Wireless 1450 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card" in the "Network Adapters" category.

Edited by Anne_ATL, 23 June 2012 - 10:23 PM.

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:20 AM

Comcast is my ISP will uninstalling Comcast Desktop Software affect me being able to get online?

No this will not affect your ability to get online

My firewall was turned off because when I was troubleshooting, it is back on now.

:thumbup2:

Windows Update is turned active.

:thumbup2:
Can you give me more specific steps to uninstall the wireless driver. Also I went into the device manager earlier and did not see anything that jumped out to me as being wireless related, I am not saying that it is not there but the title was not obvious to me.

The path I took was Control Panel ---> System ---> Hardware Tab ---> Device Manager button.

Dell Wireless 1450 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card" in the "Network Adapters" category. Right click this driver in device manager and select uninstall then reboot your machine.,

ETA:
As I stated I am able to get wireless access intermittently and am able to get on now (I am in safe mode as Administrator) and am seeing "Dell Wireless 1450 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card" in the "Network Adapters" category.

This is the one.:)

#7 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

Re the wireless I guess I am going to have to wait for it to reappear in order to uninstall it.

I know that you saw Anti-Spyware (Version: 5.6.608) listed but it is not coming up on my program list, neither in RevoUninstaller or in Add or Remove Programs function in Windows. I even did a search on the version number and it did not come up. I will keep looking.

#8 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

OK I ran the internet repair tool, the two files below were in the log folder so I assume they are related to the run - I did not check the folder before I ran the tool.

I did not uninstall the driver because it is not there, but if it was, what was I suppose to do after I did the uninstall? See next comment.

Thank you.

CIntRep

Spoiler

CIRReset

Spoiler

Edited by Anne_ATL, 24 June 2012 - 05:10 PM.

#9 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

OK this is what I did and what I think I should do. I am not invested in doing it this way and will defer to InadequateInfirmity or someone else more knowledgeable, but I don't want come off as being a helpless baby either.

I downloaded the Dell TrueMobile 1300 PCMCIA driver which apparently replaced the Dell Wireless 1450... I downloaded it to a flash drive and it is sitting on my desktop but I have not run executed anything.

When my wireless function randomly chooses to reappear I am going to uninstall it and install the new driver. Do I need to rerun the internet repair tool before installing the new driver?

Is this the correct approach, again I will gladly defer to the more knowledgeable? Thanks.

Edited by Anne_ATL, 24 June 2012 - 05:18 PM.

#10 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:09 PM

No need to run the tool again just update the driver and see how it goes. :)

#11 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

Update:
I installed and uninstalled the driver and I am still having the same problem, the wireless network is intermittently available and when the wireless network is not functioning the icons also disappear from the usual places like the Network Connections and Device Manager menus / pages. The availability seems to be late at night so I wonder if it is an atmospheric thing like maybe there is interference going on during the day when there is more traffic.

I ran the Comcast Desktop Doctor tool and got this message:

Troubleshooting Connection: DHCP
The Network Diganosis and Repair Wizard has determined that a network card is incorrectly configured. The card should be able to receive a new network address each time it connects to the Internet. Instead, it is setup to use a fixed address at all times.
The Network Diagnosis and Repair Wizard will reconfigure the network cards to use a new network address each time it connects to the Internet.
Click Next to reconfigure your network devices and verify network connectivity.

I follow the steps and presumably it attempts to do a fix but it is not successful.

Thank you.

Edited by Anne_ATL, 25 June 2012 - 01:39 PM.

#12 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

I am not sure.Someone else will have to continue this sorry I could not be of service to you.

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

Anne, did you uninstall Comcast Desktop Software?

Let me reassure you that you do not need any Comcast software in order to connect to the internet. I do not and never have had the software and my Comcast interent works very well. There are a lot of Comcast customers who don't have the software installed and they also are able to connect to the internet.

Did you or someone else install the software when your Comcast internet was set up? If you use an ethernet connection with the Comcast modem, no software is needed. Ethernet modems are plug in and if modem activation is needed, call and they can do it over the phone. It is not needed to set up a Comcast email address despite what some techs will say.

The only time the Comcast Desktop Software is needed is if you use a USB connection to the modem and for that you do need the disk to install drivers.

Uninstall Desktop Dr. The program is no longer supported and there have been no updates to it in a long time. It really does nothing for you except sit there taking up space.

I also noticed in one of your logs that you have the Xfinity toolbar. This should also be uninstalled. It's flaky and has caused issues for users in the past which clear up when the toolbar is uninstalled.

Finally I think I may be able to clear up the Anti-Spyware. When the Xfinity toolbar is installed it includes an anti-spyware component. It is listed as CA Pest Patrol Realtime Protection in Add Remove Programs. If you get this 'Access Violation at Address 00423B70 in Module 'ComcastAntiSpy.exe' after uninstalling let me know and I'll tell you how to get rid of it.

Comcast does not have a stellar history when it comes to branded software. (They have a new product called Easy Solve. If you are ever tempted to install it, DON'T. I can provide you with my review of the program and it is not a nice review).

Getting rid of all things Comcast won't solve your connection issue but your computer will thank you for it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 June 2012 - 10:53 PM.

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

What model Dell laptop do you have?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

My suggestion and perhaps another can follow along with.

It looks like the wireless network will not lunch properly at times. Since the machine is only connected through wifi, the system hangs up without it and all the programs like the AV and Windows Update are busy making a connection together. They will not settle, so the CPU goes high.

The logs are not showing the issue.

1.Disable Windows automatic update so that no auto update is done at this point and the CPU is not running high due to Windows attempting to make a connection with the server.
This step involves making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes.

Go to Start Run and type: regedit
Click OK.
On the left side, click to highlight My Computer at the top.
Go up to File Export
Make sure in that window there is a tick next to "All" under Export Branch.
Leave the "Save As Type" as "Registration Files".
Under "Filename" put RegBackup.
Choose to save it to C:\
Click save and then go to File Exit.

Or you can download and use ERUNTwhich is an excellent free tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.

How to turn off the Windows Update feature in Windows XP

2.Uninstall Avast and any other security program that run at Startup. Then boot to normal mode and try run programs and see how the things are.

Now give a description of any issues.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users