Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

existing os on new build

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 correythe3rd2125

correythe3rd2125

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

What is the point of building a new PC? Well, to get the latest and greatest BLEEPING COMPUTER! And to save some gill. That's why, but really....

I am going to try to use an old hdd, with Win XP PRO on it; in a new build. Can it be done? My 939 amd x2 cpu will get replaced by this Core i3 2125 on a BIOSTAR|B75MU3+ B75. Please, any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

It's pretty much impossible to do that and you will encounter lots of problems if you do that way. Your gonna have to purchase a copy of Windows 7.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 correythe3rd2125

correythe3rd2125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

Yeah, I figured it may not happen.....Don't wanna get mental over this build. But why the bloody hell can't you use an old hdd with an OS already there?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

There are ways if the old computer is still working. However bringing over an old windows like that will give sub-optimal performance. If you want XP do a fresh load and install programs again.

Not to mention that a new hard drive may be faster.

Edited by rotor123, 23 June 2012 - 12:43 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

Technically speaking, the old hard drive will probably work, if its an IDE drive, make sure your new motherboard will support IDE, and even if its sata chances are it will be slower then a new one like rotor said. As far as the OS, if its a retail license, it should transfer, however you may have problems activating it, and getting all the drivers to work properly-a fresh install is definetly the way to go.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

Yup, some of the new motherboards, No IDE, No Printer port, No Floppy controller, No Serial Ports.

I had to dig up a working ancient motherboard last year, 5.25" floppy and put together a computer with DOS, Win3.1, 5.25" and 3.5" floppy and ISA slots for a business that needed it to run a old ISA controller card that ran some expensive to replace equipment and Software to run it that wouldn't run on newer hardware either.

It had been so long since I did anything in win3.11 that I had to go online to refresh myself on installing drivers.

Bottom line good point about the IDE ports and the poster should think about any other missing ports they need.

I built an I7 for my brother last year. The first thing I heard is where do I put the floppys and where do I hook up the printer.

Cheers
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 correythe3rd2125

correythe3rd2125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

My older hdd is SATA! Looks like i'll put OEM WIN 7 on it. Hyper threading not supported by XP?

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

XP does support Hyperthreading. However if you had an older Windows that did not have hyperthreading. Such as one running on a AMD processor and you can get it working on a Intel CPU then the hyperthreading will not auto enable.

There are ways to enable however. This is why we both suggested a clean install.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 correythe3rd2125

correythe3rd2125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:02 PM

I just might assemble without formatting the hdd. I won't expect golden success, but its worth a try. And if all hell breaks loose, install win 7, or linux, or ubuntu. Is Ubuntu free? Also, can I install from a flash drive?

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

yes, ubuntu like all linux distros, is free. (well, some linux distros you have to pay for the full version, but their all required to offer a free version)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

My older hdd is SATA! Looks like i'll put OEM WIN 7 on it. Hyper threading not supported by XP?

If it is an older SATA drive it could be the original SATA, SATA II or SATA III. SATA I being the slowest and SATA III the fastest interface.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

<<But why the bloody hell can't you use an old hdd with an OS already there?>>

Good question...answer is that the settings and drivers from one system...are not necessarily compatible with a different system, by design.

If Windows was structured in such a way that a hard drive could be moved to a different system...that encourages piracy, such as existed in the Win 9x days...where a given Windows disk and license were used over and over again on different systems, by different persons.

PA would not like it, MS would not like it.

Louis

#13 correythe3rd2125

correythe3rd2125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

I understand copyright protection. But a good-old OS should just be able to reconfigure itself towards a new mobo(system). This might be the next step toward future PC's. An operating system that will only have one install, forever. That doesn't mean it won't update, or a newer or better OS comes out. Golly, I just explained what a PS3 is! But even in a PS3 u can swap a hdd. My point is ....going nowhere.....
My bro has xp and infinite installs, he claims.
How do you know if SATA is I, II, or III?

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

How to tell what version of SATA, easy.
You look up the model number in Google or the drive makers website and the drives specification will tell you.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

I understand copyright protection. But a good-old OS should just be able to reconfigure itself towards a new mobo(system). This might be the next step toward future PC's. An operating system that will only have one install, forever. That doesn't mean it won't update, or a newer or better OS comes out. Golly, I just explained what a PS3 is! But even in a PS3 u can swap a hdd. My point is ....going nowhere.....
My bro has xp and infinite installs, he claims.
How do you know if SATA is I, II, or III?

Sure, you can install multiple times-but a lot depends on the license. If its a Retail license, as long as its only on one computer at a time, then its legal-if its an OEM, then you cant change computers-and microsoft classifies a change of computer as a different motherboard.

Even on a retail license-sure its technically possible to just throw the drive into another computer and get it to work-in theory. First, it will have to re-activate. Then, you have to delete all the old drivers and get the new drivers installed-not a difficult job if the hardwares roughly the same, but if its totally different hardware, this can turn into a royal nightmere. Ive even had times where they simply wont boot, a clean install is the easiest most efficient way to do it.

As far as what sata version, google the hard drives model number, that should get you all the technical specs on it including sata version. Its not a huge deal-all SATA is forward and backwards compatible.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users