Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista freezes for no reason

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Thor2911

Thor2911

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

Hello everyone. I have a problem with my son's computer. After a recent update of Nvidia video drivers I've had his system freeze up several times on a frequent basis. It just freezes no BSOD. I upgraded from 285.62 to 301.42. Thinking there may be a problem with the driver I uninstalled it and took it back to 285.62 and it still freezes. I removed all Nvidia drivers and did a clean install of 285.62 and I still have problems. I have a WD HHD so I ran WD drive tester and it came back ok. I ran windows memory check and no errors. I don't see anything in the log other then the last system shutdown was unexpected. I have noticed on a couple of time that the system did hang on reboot at the loading USB and I do believe that NVIDA does load a USB driver for the 3D vision of which we do not use. <_<

I think I need a second set of eyes to see what I'm missing. Thanks for your time in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Touchito

Touchito

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

Hello, Thor2911!
You know that if the problem started right after the driversí update, then the cause must be one of those drivers or something related to one of those drivers (not necessarily but the most probable). I would run my System Restore to a date before the said updates, install them again, one a day or one every couple days, keep an eye on the system to see after which driver install it starts to fail again, and then get an alternative one.
Regards.
Touchito :thumbup2:

#3 Thor2911

Thor2911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

New update. The system will now hang at start up. So I removed the video card and started the system on the on-board video it would still hang but at the bios post and the screen would flicker. Thinking it was a bad power supply I swapped it out with a known good one from its twin PC. (Built both the same) I still did the same thing. The board I have has indicator lights for the Memory and Video. The memory always lights up but the video does not. So to rule out the OS I swapped the hhd from the problem system into the twin system and it running ok. My best guess is the bio is either corrupt or the MB is bad. The MB is a Biostar TF8200 A2+. Any additional comments would be appreciated.

#4 Jred

Jred

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

I was also going suggest that the BIOS might be corrupted just like you already discovered. Maybe this article will be helpful http://www.wikihow.com/Repair-Corrupted-BIOS-Firmware

#5 Thor2911

Thor2911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I think it will boot to a USB and then I can reflash the bios. I read the board has that feature. Can't really hurt at this point. :busy: And of course I can't just get another board of this type. I have to get a new CPU and Ram also. :angry: Got to love technology!

#6 Thor2911

Thor2911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

I looked closer at the board and notice two capacitors that were bulging so I'm guessing that is the problem. Now I have to spend $200 for a new board, CPU and ram to get it back running. Not all bad my son will get a new pc and I'll take the CPU and Ram for my box. :thumbup2: Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users