Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista (32) Winsock2 destroyed and cannot be fixed or deleted

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Brieyan

Brieyan

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:23 AM

Hello my computer caught a nasty little bug that brought in a payload of other bugs with it. I had to use a payload of bug killers to get them out (at least I hope I got them out) and in the process either the bugs or I destroyed my winsock2 and I cannot connect to my wireless network anymore. Reinstalling Windows is not an option as I lost my install disk, my validation sticker is so worn that I can't make out the numbers clearly anymore and to boot my DVD drive quit working in the middle of this as well. I am running Windows Vista 32 bit on an Acer laptop. I am pretty experienced at getting rid of viruses but the damage left over from these is something I have not been able to fix. I have run regedit as elevated as administrator and it will not delete the Winsock2 key completely in the control set. The catalog5 and catalog9 folders have hidden entries in them and the folders will not open nor will they delete. I also can't rename the keys / folders. Please understand that I have run everything that I tell you I am running as an elevated administrative user and it has all failed.

I have used the sfc /scannow command and it finds some errors but will not correct all of them. I have run ipconfig /flushdns, nbtstat -r, nbtsat -rr, netsh int reset all, netsh int ip reset, and netsh winsock reset none of which function correctly. Netsh winsock reset returns an error "Initialization Function InitHelperDll in NSHHTTP. DLL failed to start with error code 10107 The system cannont find the specified file" The other netsh commands return similar errors. The netsh file is there, but it is the command extensions that appear to be the problem. So I can't fix Winsock2 and I can't delete it to reinstall it. I have uninstalled my network adapters to see if that would have an effect and it was no help. I unchecked the TCP/IP protocols on the adapters but the uninstall box on them was grayed out, no help. I have also used the microsoft winsock repair tool to no avail. I also used RegDelNull to try and delete any null entries in the registry and that appeared to do nothing as well.

Bug Killers used.

Hijack this - I removed some entries that I knew were bad. I run this tool frequently so am familiar with what should be there on my PC
Unhackme - which was the first AV tool that made some progress on the nasty little buggers.
Malawarebytes - which was not much of a help and usually isn't against the nasty ones.
Sophos - which made some progress as well
Trend Micro RootkitBuster - which struggled to begin with but eventually was a pretty big help
TDSSKiller - which wouldn't even run initially and by the time I got that working it found nothing
GMER - which would only run with reduced functionality initially. I eventually got it to work and found a library issue that combofix took care of GMER finds nothing suspicious now.
ASWMBR - which would not work initially but ran later and finds nothing now
Combofix - This program would lock up just before the scan initially I waited a couple of hours once and nothing. I did get it work eventually when some of the other tools paved the way for it. Combofix did find problems that it deleted. (I know the warnings with this tool)

In all I've thrown the kitchen sink at the problem and I'm still left with an expensive paper weight. I'm fairly confident that the bugs are gone its just the residual damage that I need to repair. My computer works fine other that booting slow due to the winsock problems (presumably) Any direction would be appreciated.

Ps the bugs killed my system restore and deleted all my restore points so that is/was not an option either. I also have my computer set to clean boot right now.

Edited by hamluis, 06 July 2012 - 05:29 PM.
Moved from Web Browsing/Email to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/downloads/KeyFinderInstaller.exe << Use this to find your M/soft Key
Download the program on another computer and transfer with USB Drive -

Post to Malware Removal and follow steps 4 to 9, even though tools must be transferred by USB Flash Drive to complete the required steps -
You most likely still have infections remaining that are causing most of your problems -

Good Luck -

#3 Brieyan

Brieyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

Thanks I will give that a try tomorrow when I have time. If that does not work I am going to boot the computer in command prompt only mode and edit the registry from the command prompt to attempt the delete the winsock2 key. For anyone else who may be experiencing the same problem today I attempted to restore the winsock2 key from the original system hive backup and it would not allow that function to modify the registry either.

Edited by Brieyan, 23 June 2012 - 09:31 PM.

#4 Brieyan

Brieyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

OK update on this. I was finally able to get my winsock2 key deleted. I used the regedit and manually reset the ownership and rights to every key/folder in the winsock2 key path. This let me see all the keys again and delete the whole winsock2 key.

This has breathed SOME life back into my laptop, but not all. The winsock2 key reinstalled like it should have and I was able to run the microsoft winsock repair tool. My wireless adapter came back to life and saw my wireless network but will only connect with limited connectivity. I ran all the netsh commands I listed in my initial post again but still only have limited connectivity. If I go into my tcp/ip 4 properties and enter the ip address, default gateway and dns manually I can see and connect to other computers on my local network, but still cannot connect to the internet.

I do believe any viral problems are resolved and this may just be a matter of my DHCP being messed up now. Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks.

Edited by Brieyan, 06 July 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

Download

FSS

Checkmark all the boxes

Click on "Scan".
Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Download

mini toolbox

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
Report IE Proxy Settings
Reset IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
Reset FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log

Click Go and post the result.

#6 Brieyan

Brieyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:51 AM

Thank you for the response. I do have those tools on the laptop, but did not have a memory stick handy to copy the logs so that I could paste them here now. I will get them here soon. In the mean time I deleted the network adapters out of the system in hopes that the bindings on the tcp/ip protocols would reset. That did appear to have some positive effect as my wirless adapter is now talking to my wireless router. The router is now assigning an IP address and DNS server to my laptop via DHCP and I can see the local network without entering the information manually. I can now also connect to my wireless router setup using IE but still can't get to the internet. I am however able to ping the DNS server and upon running ipconfig /all the settings look good and my isp's name shows up with the dns info. I checked over my services once again and saw that the Netlogon service is not running. It is set to run automatically. I tried to start it manually but it just starts and then stops immediately. Don't know if that is connected to the problem or not. I will try to get those logs posted sometime later today. Thanks again.

Edited by Brieyan, 07 July 2012 - 03:53 AM.

#7 Brieyan

Brieyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

Ok here is the FSS Log

Farbar Service Scanner Version: 22-06-2012 01
Ran by Brieyan (administrator) on 07-07-2012 at 12:31:19
Running from "C:\Bug Removers"
Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium Service Pack 2 (X86)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Attempt to access Local Host IP returned error: Localhost is blokked: Other errors
LAN connected.
Attempt to access Google IP returned error: Other errors
Attempt to access Google.com returned error: Other errors
Attempt to access Yahoo IP returned error: Other errors
Attempt to access Yahoo.com returned error: Other errors

Windows Firewall:
=============

Firewall Disabled Policy:
==================
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile]
"EnableFirewall"=DWORD:0

System Restore:
============
VSS Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of VSS service is OK.
The ImagePath of VSS service is OK.

System Restore Disabled Policy:
========================

Security Center:
============

Windows Update:
============

Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy:
============================

Windows Defender:
==============
RpcSs Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of RpcSs service is OK.
The ImagePath of RpcSs service is OK.
The ServiceDll of RpcSs service is OK.

File Check:
========
C:\Windows\system32\nsisvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\nsiproxy.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\dhcpcsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\afd.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\tdx.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\tcpip.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\dnsrslvr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\mpssvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\bfe.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\mpsdrv.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\SDRSVC.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\wscsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\wuaueng.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\qmgr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\es.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\cryptsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpSvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\rpcss.dll => MD5 is legit

**** End of log ****

#8 Brieyan

Brieyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

and here is the Mini toolbox log

MiniToolBox by Farbar Version: 09-06-2012
Ran by Brieyan (administrator) on 07-07-2012 at 12:33:27
Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium Service Pack 2 (X86)
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Flush DNS: ===================================

========================= IE Proxy Settings: ==============================

Proxy is not enabled.
No Proxy Server is set.

"Reset IE Proxy Settings": IE Proxy Settings were reset.

========================= FF Proxy Settings: ==============================

"Reset FF Proxy Settings": Firefox Proxy settings were reset.

========================= Hosts content: =================================

127.0.0.1 localhost

========================= Winsock entries =====================================

Catalog9 01 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 02 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 03 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 04 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 05 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 06 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 07 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 08 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 09 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 10 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 11 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 12 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 13 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 14 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 15 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 16 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 17 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 18 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 19 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 20 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 21 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 22 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [223232] (Microsoft Corporation)

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (07/07/2012 07:40:35 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )
Description: http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cabA required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (07/07/2012 07:40:35 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )
Description: http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cabA required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (07/07/2012 07:40:17 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )

Error: (07/07/2012 07:40:17 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )

Error: (07/07/2012 07:26:33 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-SpoolerSpoolss) (User: SYSTEM)SYSTEM
Description: 0x80072af9

Error: (07/07/2012 07:24:54 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-SpoolerSpoolss) (User: SYSTEM)SYSTEM

Error: (07/07/2012 07:23:24 AM) (Source: WinMgmt) (User: )
Description: //./root/CIMV2SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 990x80041003

Error: (07/07/2012 07:21:53 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-SpoolerSpoolss) (User: SYSTEM)SYSTEM

Error: (07/07/2012 04:41:22 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-SpoolerSpoolss) (User: SYSTEM)SYSTEM

Error: (07/07/2012 04:38:22 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-SpoolerSpoolss) (User: SYSTEM)SYSTEM

System errors:
=============
Error: (07/07/2012 07:41:02 AM) (Source: WinDefend) (User: )
Description: %27 has encountered an error trying to update signatures.

New Signature Version: 1.125.1854.0

Previous Signature Version: 1.0.0.0

Update Source: %20

Signature Type: %272

Update Type: %274

User: \

Current Engine Version: %275

Previous Engine Version: %276

Error code: %277

Error description: %278

Error: (07/07/2012 07:31:52 AM) (Source: NETLOGON) (User: )
Description: This computer is configured as a member of a workgroup, not as
a member of a domain. The Netlogon service does not need to run in this
configuration.

Error: (07/07/2012 07:26:33 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: Print Spooler3

Error: (07/07/2012 07:24:54 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: Print Spooler2600001Restart the service

Error: (07/07/2012 07:23:24 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: Routing and Remote Access11001 (0x2AF9)

Description: cdrom

Description: Print Spooler1600001Restart the service

Description: SQL Server VSS Writer1

Description: Parallel port driver%%1058

Error: (07/07/2012 07:22:04 AM) (Source: RemoteAccess) (User: )
Description: The currently configured authentication provider failed to load and initialize successfully. No such host is known.

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (07/07/2012 07:40:35 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

Error: (07/07/2012 07:40:35 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

Error: (07/07/2012 07:40:17 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

Error: (07/07/2012 07:40:17 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

Error: (07/07/2012 07:26:33 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-SpoolerSpoolss)(User: SYSTEM)SYSTEM

Error: (07/07/2012 07:24:54 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-SpoolerSpoolss)(User: SYSTEM)SYSTEM

Error: (07/07/2012 07:23:24 AM) (Source: WinMgmt)(User: )
Description: //./root/CIMV2SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 990x80041003

Error: (07/07/2012 07:21:53 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-SpoolerSpoolss)(User: SYSTEM)SYSTEM

Error: (07/07/2012 04:41:22 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-SpoolerSpoolss)(User: SYSTEM)SYSTEM

Error: (07/07/2012 04:38:22 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-SpoolerSpoolss)(User: SYSTEM)SYSTEM

**** End of log ****

#9 Brieyan

Brieyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

Today I deleted the wireless connection and then ran the network connection wizard. When the wizard is finished it says that I am connected to the internet and the network map lights up the internet in the network sharing center. Despite this no web browser will display a page.

#10 Brieyan

Brieyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

My IPCONFIG Info

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : "deleted from post"
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : cl.ri.cox.net
System Quarantine State . . . . . : Not Restricted

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : cl.ri.cox.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-E2-A3-A6-62
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::38e9:aa83:8927:7e24%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.134.0.107(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, July 07, 2012 7:21:48 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, July 08, 2012 7:28:16 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.134.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201334754
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-0F-E0-C8-45-00-1D-72-3A-E6-6C
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.105.28.11
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.cl.ri.cox.net
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c086:6b::c086:6b(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.105.28.11
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

#11 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

You may be infected

Read the guide here on preparing logs

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

and create a topic here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

Good luck

#12 Brieyan

Brieyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

Thank you I created the new topic as advised.

Edited by Brieyan, 07 July 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#13 Brieyan

Brieyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

I would like to thank anyone who tried to help me. I am happy to say that I am typing this message from my previously broken laptop. I figured out how to fix my internet connection on my own. My laptop does still have some issues but I will follow up on those in other threads that are appropriate for the topic. The last fix that got me running again was copying the NameSpace_Catalog5 key in the winsock2 from another Vista laptop that worked into my laptop. This thread can be closed thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users