Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie-spyad For Zoned Out - Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oldbill

oldbill

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:20 PM

I found the tutorial for the original IE-SpyAd to be very helpful indeed. Is there any chance of a similarly comprehensive guide for the new version “IE-SpyAD for Zoned Out”?

I like the idea of a simplified update procedure but when I tried the new version I somehow got into a muddle and ended up by uninstalling everything and then, with the help of your tutorial, re-installing the original version of IE-SpyAd.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:05 AM

Excellent. Was the tutorial hard to follow? Happy to see you resolved the issue. Hope to see you in the forums.

Peace.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 oldbill

oldbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:34 AM

Yes, I found the tutorial very easy to follow. In particular, I liked the way it did not assume any prior expertise on the part of the reader.

Hopefully there will be a similarly simple guide for the version"IE-SpyAD for Zoned Out". Perhaps I should have posted this request in the forum for New Tutorials which I overlooked when submitting my first post.?

I am very pleased to have discovered this site with so much information in the form of tutorials. If only I had found it sooner!!

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:32 AM

Yes, I found the tutorial very easy to follow. In particular, I liked the way it did not assume any prior expertise on the part of the reader.

Hopefully there will be a similarly simple guide for the version"IE-SpyAD for Zoned Out". Perhaps I should have posted this request in the forum for New Tutorials which I overlooked when submitting my first post.?

I am very pleased to have discovered this site with so much information in the form of tutorials. If only I had found it sooner!!

That sounds like a great idea! Good ideas from good people. We are happy you found us. Be sure and post that suggestion.

Peace.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 steamwiz

steamwiz

• Members
  • 1,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:09 PM

Hi

I don't see where anyone has posted an updated tutorial on this, so this is an article I wrote for another site I used to post on :-

If anyone wants to turn it into a proper tutorial with pictures ... be my guest.

=====================

You can now only install IE-SPYAD using ZonedOut, several posters have told me they cannot follow the directions ... SO...

Here are the "foolproof" instructions

Installing IE-SPYAD using ZonedOut ...

First go to your root drive & create a new folder....

start > my computer > c:\ ... right click > new > folder > call it IE-SPYAD

1. Download and install ZonedOut from here ...

http://www.funkytoad.com/content/view/15/33/

To do this, click the above link ... then when you get to the ZonedOut page ...

Click the big Z

click save ... then use the drop down list to navigate to > C: > IE-SPYAD (the folder you created)

Click save ... the ZonedOut.zip file is then saved to the C:\IE-SPYAD folder ...

Right click the ZonedOut.zip file & extract here .. or (extract all... & extract to C:\IE-SPYAD)

you will then have ZonedOut folder with the zip file ...

Then to download IE-SPYAD click here :-

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm#IESPYAD_ZO

Scroll down to :-

Download:

IE-SPYAD for ZonedOut

IE-SPYAD_ZO.EXE 309 KB PGP signature
IE-SPYAD_ZO.ZIP 241 KB PGP signature

Download to :- C:\IE-SPYAD

Unpack the files in IE-SPYAD_ZO.ZIP or IE-SPYAD_ZO.EXE to C:\IE-SPYAD\ZonedOut

Now when you open the C:\IE-SPYAD\ZonedOut folder, you should have a total of 8 files & 1 folder (Adult)

If you have a previous version of IE-SPYAD installed - you must uninstall it before installing the new one...

this applies to any one of the "original" IE-SPYAD Restricted sites lists.

In which case read the writing in BLUE
... if you are installing IE-SPYAD for the first time - skip the BLUE writing.

Known Issue (all versions) -If you have by chance "immunized" your computer with Spybot Search and Destroy, and use

ZonedOut to "Remove All" restricted sites - ZonedOut will remove your trusted sites as well. Note that if you remove Spybot

Search and Destroys Immunization the problem goes away...

So ... if you have entries in the trusted sites which you don't want removed & you use Spybot S&D Immunization ... do this

first ... run spybot > click immunize > click undo .. you can re-immunize once you have IE-SPYAD installed ...

To uninstall a previous version of IE-SPYAD, > start the ZonedOut program. > double click the ZonedOut.exe

click > Menu > Remove Sites > Remove All

ZonedOut will remove ALL sites from your Restricted sites zone in Internet Explorer.

NOW to Install the new IE-SPYAD for ZonedOut list ...

Leave the "Current Key" combo box (top right corner of ZonedOut) as "Current User"

click > Menu > Import/Export Sites > Import from File >

ZonedOut will open an "Open File" dialog box

You should see the IE-ADS.TXT in the box ...

click to highlight IE-ADS.TXT & click open

Click OK to the confirm box

Then please wait ... it will take several minutes

when it has finished a box will pop up "failure warnings" ... which should say There were no failures

Click close & then close [b]ZonedOut

you are now protected from approx 30,000 dubious sites

==================================
MICROSOFT MVP - Windows Security 2004/9
member of ASAP since 2004
member of U.N.I.T.E

If I have helped you, please consider a small donation to help me continue my online fight in the war against malware Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users