Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Internet security

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:52 AM

After having some trouble using the Norton 12 anti virus program, I restored computer and it somehow put in Norton Internet Security instead of anti virus. It seems to cover a lot more and I have not had a problem yet, I have another free week, I am thinking about renewing.

What Think you?
Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,895 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

Although Symantec (Norton) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. I have read from other users that Symantec has improved the newer versions while others say differently. However, Symantec products can be difficult to remove and remnants are often left behind which require the use of a special removal tool, otherwise you may encounter problems installing a replacement anti-virus. To be fair, other vendors are also using removal tools for the same reason. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative.

Norton Internet Security is a suite which means it includes additional features, in addition to anti-virus protection. Some of those extra features will also consume resources and affect performance.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

Go for it! Norton Internet Security is a good choice. I wouldn't buy a license direct from Norton though, too pricey. Instead, have a look on reputable sites such as Amazon.com, where you'll find a much better deal.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/185-0027495-4593560?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Norton+Internet+Security
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/275-4919434-9910736?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Norton+Internet+Security&x=7&y=18

Also, since you have restored your system, many of your programs may need updating. Outdated versions of programs like Adobe Flash Player, Java and PDF Readers can leave you vulnerable to attack, so it is highly important to keep them updated. Something like Secunia PSI can help you with this.

#4 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:07 AM

Thanks Red Dawn!!!!
JIm

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#5 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

You're very welcome :) .

#6 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:13 AM

Red Dawn,
Downloaded Secunia and it did it's scan, and found nothing that needed updating. I like that program, good check, because I have had that problem before and now I have a way to fix it. Could you help me with this, Since I switched from Norton anti-virus to the
Internet security version, It automatically set to Smart firewall rather than a Static Firewall, like I had before. What is the upside of a smart firewall?
JIm

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#7 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

Jim,

Replied in your other thread.

Edit: Added link.

Edited by RedDawn, 25 June 2012 - 06:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users