Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freeze or Not Starting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

Hi -
Over the last week I have just developed my first Major problem with this XP Pro SP3 Fully updated unit -
Full story - (Long story)
I was away for 2 weeks, and the computer and Internet were turned off at the wall, and not touched by anybody at all.
The first day back I naturally started to update everything prior to doing any work with it, so I had MSE, MBAM, SAS, and Java to update

As I started doing these updates I had the first Freeze while doing Java updates (from Version 7 x to current) and could not recover any way.
The only way out was a hard shutdown, as I attempted all other methods first, and nothing at all would respond (including keyboard and mouse)
I then attempted to start up after 1 hour and the power light came on, but nothing else even looked like working (just a blank screen)

So I let it sit overnight, and it started normally (or so I thought). All updates were done and the computer operated OK for most of the day.
I had noticed a few minor "flashes" or "blips" on the screen, but took no notice as they did not cause a problem -
We needed to go out so I turned off, by the normal method, and just left the Internet on, since I was only going to be a few hours and would then return.
From here the same startup problems began again. Power light on, Internet OK on the Win7 unit, but nothing here (the XP) worked at all.

Up to today, and no startup at first (power light OK, but no mouse or keyboard lights). Let it sit for 2 or 3 hours and it started normally ??
In the last 2 hours it has had another Freeze and the only way to turn off is a hard shutdown again - It has just restarted and I am posting from it.

Through out the week this has been a pain, and no matter what I have done (no Memtest 86 yet) the problem continues.

I have a ARCDC CD, and an X PUD CD, but they are not recognised as the CD player seems dead when this occurs. Power light on, and Nobody home.
The only thing I do not have, is a XP Pro CD with me, but chances are I could get one if needed, but the CD unit is dead when I have the problem.
The CD player has been used while the system worked, and I made / burned at least 3 CDs over this past week

No problems have been found with any scans, just a tracking cookie or 2.
I am sick of hard shutdowns and waiting almost a dat to get a good start -
Looking for any ideas as to why this continues, and any solution (no problems in Device Manager) -

Thank You -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

Hi noknojon,

I wonder if the power supply isn't failing. You wouldn't have a spare to swap in would you? Also checkout the capacitors on the motherboard. Look for swelling or leaking. If you have printers or other external devices attached, try removing them at startup.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

If you have printers or other external devices attached, try removing them at startup.

I have been unplugging all extra items (Cannon printer only) and not using it at startup this week.
There is another good Power supply, but I do not think it fits this unit (custom build), but I will try -

I also Defragged the second day of use, and it was unusually high in showing Red areas, without almost no use.
Also Froze at the end of chkdsk /r, a hard shutdown 1 hour after completion. This is after 2 full weeks of zero use

I will inspect the inside of the computer in the morning (11 PM here now)

Thanks -

Edited by noknojon, 23 June 2012 - 07:43 AM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

Hi Artrooks -
The newer unit is installed and is currently working (posting from it now)
I took Speccys prior to, and post, the new PSU which I have just finished installing -

First (prior to) = http://speccy.piriform.com/results/bNEiKrkzcJzKkAgma762BYa
Second (post fitting) = http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ON3BfqEcPmbMiIIejkcQpwk

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

Good evening noknojon,

Sounds as if you are off to a good start. Time and use will tell if this fixes the problem. The post fitting voltages under motherboard are slightly increased. I think the +12V: 0.112V reading is spurious.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Regards,
Brooks

#6 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

Thanks Artrooks -
I will review it again via Speccy after 2 or 3 days of running with the current installed PSU.
All seems OK at this time, and no screen "blips" or freezes yet - :thumbup2:

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users