Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is there a program that can improve your screens refresh rate?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 donchen84

donchen84

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

is there a program that can improve your screens refresh rate? make movies stream faster. currently I only have a refresh rate of 60 hertz.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:25 PM

currently I only have a refresh rate of 60 hertz.

This is completely normal for 99% of XP computers - I have the same and no problems -
You can check your download speed at Speedtest.net (use GOOGLE) and pick an area near you or use this link
Do not click on/download any advertising that exists with these test sites, and just click the Start when you are ready.
If the result is less than 10 to 15 Mbps, it is your internet connection -

Please post the results back here -

Thank You -
EDITED to add link -

Edited by noknojon, 22 June 2012 - 11:28 PM.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

screen refresh would have little or nothing to do with the speed you download and view videos

a better monitor and video device might yeild more refresh rate ,but i think 60 is the norm

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

As has been explained. Screen refresh rate has nothing to do with download or streaming speed. A screen refresh rate of 60hz represents complete reconstruction of the screen image 60 times every second. As a result, this also means that each video frame (in a 30 frame per second signal) is repeated twice every 60th of a second.

To possibly get a better streaming rate you need to look at your download speeds from the content provider and your ISP. There isn't a software application you can 'plug in' that can do that for you. You need to manage the bandwidth to possibly do that. Keep in mind that there are aspects out of your control. Such as I mentioned, where the content comes from and your own ISP. Sometimes no matter what you do it doesn't get any better.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users