Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer is running slower than it should be. Why?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OtosReborn

OtosReborn

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:31 PM

So, I have a Gateway DX4800-05e computer that I got about 4-5 years ago. I just recently bought Diablo 3 and tried to play it, but it was super laggy, it took forever to walk, move, cast any spells, anything like that at all.

The confusing part in this for me is the fact that my friend's laptop runs it much better and much faster, with worse specs than my desktop.

Me:

Pentium Dual Core CPU E5200 @ 2.5GHz 2.5 GHz

6 GB RAM

64 Bit Vista

NVIDIA GeForce 9200

Him:

Intel i5-2430M @ 2.4 2.4

4gb RAM (3.85 usable)

64 bit windows 7

intel HD graphics family video card

Now, the problem here is the processor, right? If I were to buy a stronger processor and put it in my computer, would that solve the issue? Would I even be able to do that? Also, what are steps that I can take to improve my computer's speed (without formatting the hard drive, since I don't have an install disk for Windows)? Unless there is a way around an install disk such as installing it online or something. I have a Windows 7 install disk for my girlfriend's Dell laptop.. Would that still work?

Sorry for all the questions, I just can't figure this out myself.

On the other hand, I need to build/buy a new computer (Desktop or Laptop. Probably need one of each) that can handle Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft smoothly, without going crazy on price. Any recommendations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

Me:

Pentium Dual Core CPU E5200 @ 2.5GHz 2.5 GHz - http://ark.intel.com/products/37212/Intel-Pentium-Processor-E5200-%282M-Cache-2_50-GHz-800-MHz-FSB%29

Him:

Intel i5-2430M @ 2.4 2.4 - http://ark.intel.com/products/53450/Intel-Core-i5-2430M-Processor-%283M-Cache-up-to-3_00-GHz%29

One thing that sticks out is he (your friend) is running an i5 chip. An i5 chip is a quad core processor while you are running a dual core.

Think if it like a car.

You are driving a four cylinder while he is driving an 8 cylinder. The processor handles better in his machine than in yours.

Corrected a typo

Edited by herg62123, 22 June 2012 - 10:42 PM.

Posted Image

#3 OtosReborn

OtosReborn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

Would I be able to buy an i5 or i7 Quad core and put it into my existing PC or no?

Also, is my video card (GeForce 9200) up to snuff for something like this? Last I knew, the 9200 was pretty high up there.

#4 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

Have you made sure that you have the very latest drivers for your card installed?

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

It certainly will not do any harm, just in case the driver is not installed correctly.

Edited by herg62123, 22 June 2012 - 11:06 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Rikwar

Rikwar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

Would I be able to buy an i5 or i7 Quad core and put it into my existing PC or no?

Also, is my video card (GeForce 9200) up to snuff for something like this? Last I knew, the 9200 was pretty high up there.

To simply put it the answer is No, your core2 and i5 or i7 don't use the same socket !!

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:06 PM

On the other hand, I need to build/buy a new computer (Desktop or Laptop. Probably need one of each) that can handle Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft smoothly, without going crazy on price. Any recommendations?

This is a completely different topic and would best be suited for this forum:

Questions and advice for Buying a New Computer
Be sure and read the first pinned topic.

Alternatively if you decide to build take a look at:

Questions and advice for Buying a New Computer
Again please take a look at the pinned topic: What Do I Need To Build A Computer

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 rental12

rental12

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:54 AM

Sometimes computer runs slow for the attack of different types of virus. So i think it may be one of the causes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users