Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox stuff.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JannEd

JannEd

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

I am on a Compaq laptop, Win 7 upgrade from Vista. I thought the hdd was toast, but only 20bytes are; yeah, I know and I am sure. I want to take this thing to where it was from factory. I have done it once before when another user had it and clicked his brain until he died. Anyhow, I need to know where Firefox puts its files like bookmarks and password saves so when I do the cleansing, when I reinstall I will have that info to put in. I don't need to save anything else!!

Janni says HI GUYS!! Did ya miss me????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Just a quick -
Are you still on Vista, or have you upgraded already, or about to upgrade ??

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

First a quick (find it yourself answer) Where do Firefox put Favorites/Bookmark files - From GOOGLE -
Firefox stores the user data in the profile folder.
For details of the location of the profile folder and its contents see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

Now the FULL Reply - - - - - -

To backup the Firefox user data you can backup the entire profile folder.

On Windows 2000 and Windows XP, profile folders are in this location, by default:

C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows login/user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile folder>
The Application Data folder is a hidden folder; to show hidden folders, open Windows Explorer and choose "Tools ? Folder Options ? View (tab) ? Show hidden files and folders".

On Windows Vista and Windows 7, profile folders are in this location, by default:
C:\Users\<Windows login/user name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile folder>.
The AppData folder is a hidden folder; to show hidden folders, open a Windows Explorer window and choose "Organize ? Folder and Search Options ? Folder Options ? View (tab) ? Show hidden files and folders".

On Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and Windows 7, you can also use this path to find the profile folder, even when it is hidden:

%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile folder>
%APPDATA% is a variable represents the C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>Application Data folder on Windows 2000/XP and the C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming folder on Windows vista and Windows 7. Image:Appdata.png

To find a profile folder in the default location on Windows 2000, XP, Vista, or Windows 7:

Press "Windows key Image:Windows_Key.png + R" to open the Run box
(or, you can click "Start ? Run..." on Windows 2000/XP)
In the Run box, type in %APPDATA%
Click OK. A Windows Explorer window will appear.
In this window, choose Mozilla ? Firefox ? Profiles.
Each folder in the "Profiles" folder (e.g., "xxxxxxxx.default") is a profile on your computer.

Edited by noknojon, 22 June 2012 - 09:38 PM.

#4 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

LOL Thank you! I know I could have googled it, but this is my go-to forums and I haven't been here in awhile. I could smack my forehead on this one!! Browser 101 would have told me profile, profile, profile!!! Thank you again for rattling my brain!!

Jann

#5 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:48 PM

Just a quick -
Are you still on Vista, or have you upgraded already, or about to upgrade ??

A customer gave me this laptop to fix, some months ago...a couple days later he called me and told me to keep it because he found a better laptop. I ran with it!! That said, I have Win7 OVER Vista. I will take the hdd right down to the settings he had when he took it out of the box, at that time I will have Vista. I will then put in the win7 upgrade and go from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users