Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ccleaner Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:11 PM

CCleaner is really great and seems safe.
But I can't find any information on their site about going at other drives.
Is it possible? Is it logical?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

Under Options>Custom, there is a list you can add custom folders to that you want cleaned, but Ccleaner knows where temporary files are stored (always in system folders on the system drive), so when it goes to clean those, it knows where they are. You shouldn't have temporary files or the like on any other drive.

I believe the emptying of the recycle bin covers all drives currently connected, weather they are internal or external.

Edited by Lanscader, 03 March 2006 - 07:39 PM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:23 PM

Thanks. I'll look in Options.
One reason I asked, is that I'm positive lotsa junk went to the harddrive when I made a rather mindless backup once or twice, and so I was hoping to have CCleaner mop it up for me - they just go zip zip and it's done and well done at that. Will take me years to do a nice job of that quality.
Flash drive is really no problem.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 12:56 AM

CCleaner is really great and seems safe.
But I can't find any information on their site about going at other drives.
Is it possible? Is it logical?

It is a great product, but it is far from safe. Any program that can modify you registry is always a potential danger. Make us you keep a backup of you registry on hand in case of an unfoeseen problem. Registy backup is only over kill if you never need it. I back up my registry once a week. Never know when a virus will hose your system.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 01:19 AM

One reason I asked, is that I'm positive lotsa junk went to the harddrive when I made a rather mindless backup once or twice, and so I was hoping to have CCleaner mop it up for me

Ah, yeah. That's the kind of thing you could just stick into that list or do manually, as long as you remember where you made the backup.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:54 AM

It is a great product, but it is far from safe. Any program that can modify you registry is always a potential danger. Make us you keep a backup of you registry on hand in case of an unfoeseen problem. Registy backup is only over kill if you never need it. I back up my registry once a week. Never know when a virus will hose your system.

OK. Thanks for the warning.
I have on occassion saved sections of the registry, using the native command which writes .reg or .txt file. So I can do it for the entire thing, correct?
I know there are special programs for registry backup. Why should I use something special when the normal registry output seems ok to me. Can you explain please? I'd rather avoid special things. Just too much clutter.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:32 AM

I'd rather avoid special things. Just too much clutter.

Well said. Why use a program to do what you are able doing with a few mouse clicks? I just Expot the whole registry to CD.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users