Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is old is new

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Small Lady01

Small Lady01

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

Greetings,

This topic may already exist but I am not sure where. Anyway I just received a used Mac book pro and the previous user info is still on it. I am new to Mac so I went online to find a way to reset it to factory setting and start anew. I found some sites that listed how to go about it. Most of them suggested pressing the "command and R" buttons after the chime or pressing the "options" key. The first option does not work the mac ignores this. The second option takes me to a pic of the HD but I cannot choose for it to do anything else. If I press the arrow under the pic it boots normally.

How do I get to the boot setup so that I can choose an HD recovery? It is a Macbook Pro A1226 (silver keyboard). I am not even sure what version OS I am running. Please lead me properly.

Edited by Small Lady01, 23 June 2012 - 04:13 PM.

"When I was kidnapped, my parents snapped into action. They rented out my room."

Woody Allen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

Order the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard discs and use it to perform a clean install. Afterwards run Software Update to install the latest updates.
Finding your Mac OS X version and build information

#3 Small Lady01

Small Lady01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

The mac is running version 10.6.5. I cannot find any build info. I am going to buy the Snow Leopard discs today. I will see how things turn out. Will post again tonight.
"When I was kidnapped, my parents snapped into action. They rented out my room."

Woody Allen

#4 Small Lady01

Small Lady01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Sorry, I did not know that OS was not something carried in stores. I ordered online and am awaiting its arrival in store. Should be there by Friday. Will post when it gets here.

Woody Allen

#5 Small Lady01

Small Lady01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

Question:

As I was reading the clean install article I saw there are three options for the install. Which one should I choose?

Erase a Volume. Use these instructions to erase an entire volume. Be sure to back up all of your data first.

Format a Hard Drive. Use these instructions if you wish to erase an entire hard drive, including any volumes/partitions it may contain, and not create any new volumes/partitions. Be sure to back up all of your data first.

Partition a Hard Drive. Use these instructions if you wish to erase and partition a hard drive. Be sure to back up all of your data first.

I am not sure if I need the partition or not. Do I need to partition the drive or can this be done sometime later down the line?

Woody Allen

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

Question:

As I was reading the clean install article I saw there are three options for the install. Which one should I choose?

Erase a Volume. Use these instructions to erase an entire volume. Be sure to back up all of your data first.

Format a Hard Drive. Use these instructions if you wish to erase an entire hard drive, including any volumes/partitions it may contain, and not create any new volumes/partitions. Be sure to back up all of your data first.

Partition a Hard Drive. Use these instructions if you wish to erase and partition a hard drive. Be sure to back up all of your data first.

I am not sure if I need the partition or not. Do I need to partition the drive or can this be done sometime later down the line?

These would better answer your questions regarding volume and partitions better than I ever could.
Volume
Partition or Partitions

Formatting a hard drive will map out any bad blocks that the drive may have that would cause problems. Either erasing or formatting a drive will wipe out all the data on the drive so if you need to keep anything I'd suggest you create a backup of them onto CDs, DVDs, flashdrives or an external hard drive. I don't partition my drives so I can't inform you of the pros and cons of partitioning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users