Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dump Of Physical Memory After Repair

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Joshua R.

Joshua R.

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

Hello,

This is my first post to these forums, but not my first visit. I know you guys handle things very well here and you have helped me tremendously in the past, but now I seriously need you to answer a question I have not found on these forums yet.

I have a Windows XP Professional that had Service Pack 3 installed, but I only had a disk with Service Pack 2.
Thinking that I could just instal the third service pack afterwords, I ran the repair option that you get when you boot from the disk.

This repair was supposed to fix my problem with opening "My Computer" and other files/folders that are essential, but without losing all of my personal files. The files on this PC are very important to me and my work group.

Instead of it fixing my issue it created an even bigger one. When I start up the computer it loads the login screen and as soon as i login the windows startup screen appears to be loading but the logo and loading bar are much smaller than usual and then befor it finishes loading it goes into a dump of physical memory because the windows subsystem system process terminated unexpectedly with the status of..."I dont know the entire thing because it runs off the right side of my screen."
00005 (0x7c91069f36c)...system has been shut down.
...inning dump of physical memory...

All the help that i can get will be greatly appreciated!

-Josh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

System manufacture and model?

Legal install and license?

Were your installation disks provided by an OEM (Dell, Lenovo, eMachines, etc.)?

I haven't done this in some time...but a repair attempt of XP with a disk that doesn't reflect current SP...has historically brought trouble.

The basic problem is that the system writes over the files which have been created/installed post-SP2 and this can create problems.

Which is why most repair efforts (with Genuine MS install CD) will warn the user that he is using a disk reflecting an older version of Windows...before going ahead with the install.

Can you boot into safe mode successfully?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 June 2012 - 03:24 PM.

#3 Joshua R.

Joshua R.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

Dell Precision 670, it was ordered from dell.com and I do have the disks provided by Dell. It was a legal instalation.
Safe Mode is successful.

If that is the case will i not be able to just install SP3 in safemode from a usb drive?

New Error message when booting up PC(not in safe mode):
(I still cannot see the entire message because it runs off-screen)
...p: d0000144 Unknown Hard Error
...nown Hard Error

I have tried running the SP3 in safemode and all i get is an error message saying: "C:\Documents and Settings\(user)\Desktop\WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Edited by Joshua R., 25 June 2012 - 08:14 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

http://www.ehow.com/how_5852412_install-xp-sp3-safe-mode.html

From what I see...you may wind up doing a clean install of XP, using your disks, then installing SP3...due to damaged system files or hard drive problems.

The first thing I would do would be to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...or the Dell Diagnostics package...prior to assuming that all is well with the hard drive.

Google Results, Unknown Hard Error

Louis

#5 Joshua R.

Joshua R.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

That is exactly what i did not want to have to do...Is there anyway to make a backup of all my files through safe mode before i do this?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

As I said...that is why Windows pops up the warning when a user is trying to do a repair install that does not reflect the current version.

I can't tell you what you can and cannot do on that system...I can only suggest that the file system for the current install appears to be damaged and it's not going to cure itself.

Your backup options are determined by the program/method you use to do such.

Louis

#7 Joshua R.

Joshua R.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

Thank you so much for all your help Louis!

I have backed up the all the needed files to a sandisk and I am going to reformat as soon as I have time too.

I wish it turned out differently but you guys did all you could for me and I appreciate it.

Thanks Again,
-Josh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users