Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing VAIO Crapware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LoisGriffin

LoisGriffin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

Hello everyone, and thanks for reading!
I have just bought a new Sony VAIO laptop which came in with a lot of different VAIO programs on it. Gaming was the main reason for buying this baby, so I thought I should keep it as clean as possible, since I will never use any of the fancy features VAIO provides (and quite frankly, I am a neat freak, so having all these programs would make me paranoid about slowing my cpu).

I am currently following these steps highlighted here http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Crapware-Bloatware-from-Your-Windows-Computer to remove all unnecessary programs (including swapping over the anti viruses).

The main question being; is it safe to blatantly remove all VAIO programs through add or remove programs feature? I am afraid some of them might be important for windows and by removing them I would cause more issues (example- VAIO Wireless Easy Connect/Smart Network. Im more than happy to have a standard windows option tool, so would I be ok if I delete VAIO one?)

Once again, thanks for your time, and sorry if I confused anyone. Have a nice day.

P.S. I also do not intend on using Bluetooth, thus would it be safe to remove "Bluetooth Win7 Suite (64)"?

Edited by LoisGriffin, 22 June 2012 - 11:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

I would be sure to make the recovery disks,2 sets if possible before I did all that uninstalling all the Vaio software. Some of the Vaio software is what is used to make them. It is handy to have them in case the hard drive dies.

Some of the Vaio software might be needed. If that turns out to be the case you might find that they do not have it for download so I would check just in case.

Beyond that I am afraid I can not help. I just leave the stuff in my laptop since I never know if I'll want it in the future.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

Hi -
Please start by following the steps from rotor123 then you can read on -

Remove all Demo programs or Trial versions unless you plan on upgrading to the full version soon (like before the next version comes out in 4 months).
Remove whatever commercial virus scanning program is running... But replace it with a decent one ASAP -
If you don't know what something is, don't remove it before you do an online search and read about it to find out if it's essential software.
Read This Section very carefully first -
Visit this site >> http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ if there are security apps to remove (instructions are given)

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 22 June 2012 - 05:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users