Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unidentified Icon - Anybody Recognise It?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 johndrew

johndrew

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:29 AM

Hello all. As a new member to this site I should like to say hello before I ask for helpjava script:emoticon(':thumbsup:', 'smid_3')
:flowers:

Recently I noticed an icon in C:\Documents and Settings\User\ which I have been unable to identify. The icon is a red circle with a diagonal from top right to bottom left on a white background (clock dial 2 to 8) and titled `x.exe`. Associated with this is a Notepad icon titled `x.log`. When the .exe file is double clicked it produces a small panel titled `Uninstall???` with `uninstall.lst not found` in the window. The log file gives nothing away as all it says is `where=C:\Documents and Settings\User\.
dir=C:\Documents and Settings\User\.`

I have tried to Google it but found nothing that makes any sense to me. The questions are, should it be there? is it harmful? what does.did it belong to? and should I delete it?

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:53 AM

Hi johndrew

Do you have XoftSpy installed on your PC?

David

#3 johndrew

johndrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:59 AM

Hello David,

Thanks for responding.

No, but I may have tried to install it when I had a virus problem some time ago.

I am still in the `learners` enclosure and some things I try to do fail!! One may well have been the attempted installation of XoftSpy whilst following (or rather trying to follow) advice given by well meaning members of the forum when I had the problem. I know I installed a lot of things to get rid of the virus/malware thing and tried many approaches before it finally was resolved.

From your post I assume you think this is associated with XoftSpy. If so can I get rid of it and how?

John

#4 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:18 AM

Looks like an encryption program, please click Here
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 08:05 AM

Have you had right clicked on the icon
clicked on "properties" > version tab?
Posted Image

#6 johndrew

johndrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:57 AM

Hello Scarlett & Bear,

Yes I have right clicked it it only shows the `General`, `Compatibility` and `Summary` tabs and tells me it is an `Application` about 30KB.

If it is an encryption program, why when I double click it do I get the `Uninstall` message? I have looked at your link and I am positive I`ve never used that particular software and I don`t think I`ve ever used any other of a similar nature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users