Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

outlook express problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bobbob1327

bobbob1327

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

Hi, I get emails OK in outlook express version 6.0 but if there is a link,clicking on it doesn't work. All that happens is that the "from and subject line" turns blue. When I click on "help" all the drop down options appear but none of them work either.
I tried to delete OE and do a fresh install but the deleted files keep coming back. I tried downloading OE version 8.0 but it terminated the download saying that the default browser couldn't be accessed. I've set up Mozilla as default and then Internet explorer but still no joy. I've tried re-loading OE from my Windows XP disk but still no joy. My system is Windows XP and scans show no virus or malware present.
Any help welcome re repairing OE or removing it and re-installing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

A couple of things to try:

The first one was a response by Animal in another topic

Sometimes this happens if another program or application has registered itself as the default application for browsing the web. If this other program or application has somehow become corrupt, or it has been uninstalled, Outlook Express cannot launch a browser window when you click on a link within an email.

To resolve this issue, you need to re-register Internet Explorer as the default browser.

Start Internet Explorer

Select the Tools->Internet Options menu

Select the [Programs] tab

Look for a checkbox labelled "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser"

If this checkbox is not ticked, this is likely the cause of the problem, you need to tick this.

Click OK

Close Internet Explorer

Re-open Internet Explorer

Close Outlook Express

Re-open Outlook Express

If that does not work

Access Internet Options, from Tools at the top of this page OR from Control Panel.

Once you are looking at Internet Options:

Advanced tab.

RESET your Internet Explorer settings.

You will be given the option to Delete Personal Settings. It's up to you whether to delete them.

Before you reset, you will have to close out any pages open in IE.

By resetting, your home page will be changed to msn. You can easily change it back to whatever you prefer.
It will also delete your history, add-ons, form data, etc.

After resetting, open up OE, and see if links will open.

IE and Outlook Express are closely intertwined. The reset method is something that is suggested as a possible fix.
It's worked for me a few times in the past, and for others I have recommended this method to.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:03 AM

OE...is a part of IE.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2398839

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_repair_outlook_express.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic