Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG 2013 beta

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cluless

Cluless

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:03 AM

Hi

I have AVG free installed on my desktop and have been invited to test AVG's 2013 Beta product. I don't mind doing it after all I'm getting anti virus free but is there any down side to doing so?

Any input appreciated

regards

Cluey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

The downside is that you will be depending on a testing version of your Anti-virus to keep your computer secure.

"The main aim of our beta program is to test software changes and innovations in a “real world” environment, which cannot be simulated in our development test laboratories, and to help us improving the quality of the release version."

While I am sure AVG has done as much testing as it could before releasing the Beta version, it may nevertheless have minor bugs. You are trusting AVG to have made sure there are no major bugs that impair its functionality in keeping your computer safe.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

I don't know how AVG organizes their betas, but it could be that this beta version contains debug and trace code which could make it slightly slower than the final version.

I regularly participate in betas, they'll probably ask you for feedback in the form of a survey.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

Whenever Beta is mentioned we generally add this message so others reading will understand more.

Please note that this program is a beta version of a product and not completely tested to ensure its stability or reliability.

What is beta software?

After an initial round of in-house testing, software publishers often release new programs to be tested by the public. These pre-release versions are called beta software, usually denoted by a "b" in the version number, e.g., Netscape Navigator 2.0b5. Since the publisher couldn't possibly test the software under all possible conditions, it is reasonable to expect that wider use of the software may uncover problems that were not discovered during in-house testing. The publisher expects to be notified when users find such problems so that the program can be fixed before its official release.

In general, you should expect to run into bugs whenever using any piece of beta software. These bugs may range in severity from minor features that don't work to problems that cause your computer to crash. You should decide whether the benefit of new features in a beta program outweighs the risk of program instability before choosing to use a piece of beta software. You should also be aware that UITS will not have thoroughly tested beta software, nor will the software be guaranteed by its maker, so you should not expect the same level of support as you would receive for an official release version of the program.

Beta version software is useful for internal demonstrations, testing and previews to select customers, but may be unstable and not yet ready for a release candidate stage. The goal of a beta program is to collect information regarding the performance, quality, stability, and functionality of new products in order to iron out the bugs before they are released to the general public. If you choose to use a beta program, you use it at your own risk.

For more information about beta programs and software release stages, please read Software release life cycle

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Cluless

Cluless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

Thanks guys common sense and practical advice as always

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users