Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe missing,performed repair install now won't logon

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sweebum

sweebum

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

This is a work computer plagued with problems. This morning, the computer was apparently interrupted while booting, and the desktop disappeared. Explorer.exe could be found, but not run. Reg is set properly she'll explorer.exe. I spent all afternoon trying workarounds, and nothing. Ran anti-vir, combofix, nothing detected.

Did a repair install of Windows XP pro SP2, with a windows xp pro sp2. As soon as the users come up, I get a BSOD stop error c000021a at 0xc0000005 (0x7c9106c3 0x00eaf094)

Seems to be a login problem/conflict. I've been avoiding a fresh install at all costs, as these people have old programs installed with no disks for them. Help is appreciated. The repair install will boot in safe mode, whereas the missing explorer.exe install would not.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:52 PM

Hi -
The next logical step I would follow is to get an XP Pro CD and run sfc /scannow to try and replace any missing files
Also a chkdsk /r should be performed on the system in case there are other problems
If you were able to run Antivirus programs, etc, then these basics should be no problem -

>>"Ran anti-vir, combofix, nothing detected."<< NOTE: Combofix is not a cure-all for these type of problems, and should never be used as such -
By doing this, you can create more problems than you think you can ever solve -

Always stick with the basics first, and then try other diagnostics after that. Did you try to run an OTL log to look for problems ??

Regards -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

<<This is a work computer plagued with problems.>>

<<I've been avoiding a fresh install at all costs,>>

Sounds to me like you have contradictory wants...and can waste an inordinate amount of time that ultimately may result in the necessary clean install.

These days...it's hard for me to feel sympathetic toward organizations that fail to do system backups routinely...that's just commercial suicide, IMO, given the fact that backing up systems should be a fundamental aspect of any organization that realizes that life has many undesired twists and turns.

Running ComboFix on the system...may have merely compounded whatever is wrong with the system, since many users have system problems after using ComboFix without proper instruction/guidance.

I suggest a clean install...and a plan for routine backups in the near future (when the system has no problems).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users